• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Montpelier vs. HMRC - Contingency Options

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

additonal option

Given the ongoing discussion on the other thread re rejoining Montpelier, which it would appear is a loan scheme that so far hasnt been attacked and may or may not be attacked retrospectively (who knows these days) , I think a legitimate option should be added of rejoining MP, and putting every extra penny into a CTD to pay the BN66 bill. There may or may not be a later issue re the loan scheme but that's something to worry about later. Its not ideal but might help with the immediate problem.

Comment

Originally posted by poppy01 View Post
      Given the ongoing discussion on the other thread re rejoining Montpelier, which it would appear is a loan scheme that so far hasnt been attacked and may or may not be attacked retrospectively (who knows these days) , I think a legitimate option should be added of rejoining MP, and putting every extra penny into a CTD to pay the BN66 bill. There may or may not be a later issue re the loan scheme but that's something to worry about later. Its not ideal but might help with the immediate problem.
      Don't follow the logic at all. Use MP to sort the curent mess, but why start a whole new one? Andif all you're going to do with your "saved" tax is lock it away for 20 years just in case, why not get your own company, save the tax legitimately and get some benefit from it. At least then you'd be on fairly stable legal ground.

Oh, I know - IR35. Nonsense, not a consideration. Go LtdCo regardless.
      Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
        Don't follow the logic at all. Use MP to sort the curent mess, but why start a whole new one? Andif all you're going to do with your "saved" tax is lock it away for 20 years just in case, why not get your own company, save the tax legitimately and get some benefit from it. At least then you'd be on fairly stable legal ground.

IMO Mal has understated this! First rule - if you are in a hole stop digging....

Comment

Originally posted by poppy01 View Post
          There may or may not be a later issue re the loan scheme but that's something to worry about later.

You can't be serious. But you could end up in even WORSE a situation. For what a few thousand pounds. My thoughts are here on the other BN66 thread ... http://forums.contractoruk.com/587038-post970.html

Comment

Mal is right. There is much less risk of getting investigated with a Ltd Co than if you are in a scheme. Even if your working practises would technically be deemed employment, the chances of getting caught are very slim. After 7 years, IR35 has proved to be largely ineffective.

Comment

Originally posted by DonkeyRhubarb View Post

Mal is right. There is much less risk of getting investigated with a Ltd Co than if you are in a scheme. Even if your working practises would technically be deemed employment, the chances of getting caught are very slim. After 7 years, IR35 has proved to be largely ineffective.
              Gosh - we all agree Mal is right! Maybe I am dreaming and will wake up...

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
                Gosh - we all agree Mal is right! Maybe I am dreaming and will wake up...
                I'm always right.

It's just the degree to which I'm right that people have trouble with...
                Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Your all right, I wasnt being entirely serious, but I thought the irony of HMRC driving me back into the arms of an avoidance scheme delicious...

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
                    I'm always right.

It's just the degree to which I'm right that people have trouble with...
                    I married miss right - I just never knew her first name was always! boom boom!

IGMC

Comment

I was in the Montepelier scheme for about 2 years. So, fortunately the tax liability isnt too great since I didnt work continuously during that period.

Still, its a worry all the same especially sinceHMRC appear to have done nothing except ask the same questions every 9 months or so ie when did you enter the scheme, when did you leave, submit accounts for the period etc, etc?

I've often wondered why HMRC has delayed making a decision on the scheme and there can only be two reasons;

1, they think the chances of winning any test case is 50 \ 50 at best
                      2, they are waiting for some retrospectic power to come into force.

Surprise, surprise, I now see the government is bringing in retrospective finance legislation in July this year which will have the effect of outlawing schemes or similar schemes at a stroke!

I've held off paying any money on account and TBH, MTM or whatever they call thmesleves nowadays, are fecking useless at keeping you up to date with what's happening and more importantly, lessening your tax penalties! That last bit is surprising since they claimed to be about lessening your tax burden if you joined their fecking scheme!

What's the concensus of opinion from informed former members of the scheme, pay on account, make a payment based on one of the other options (if so which) ir sit tight (not really an option now as it drags on and on!)?
                      I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

Working...
                      X