• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

National Insurance ..

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by hgllgh View Post
    I think you should pay some NI just for the qualifying years.
    State pension won't be much but will always be set at level that a pensioner could live on. I can't imagine any government in their right mind will allow pensioners to be completely destitute ... they would just get voted out.
    It won't be much but it will be something extra to top up with.
    http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/MoneyTax...nt/DG_10021384

What is a qualifying year?

You need to earn a minimum amount (£4,680 per year in 2008-2009) for it to count as a qualifying year.

How many qualifying years do you need?

Currently men normally need 44, and women normally need 39 qualifying years to get the full State Pension.

However, if you reach State Pension age on or after 6 April 2010 you will need 30 qualifying years for a full Basic State Pension.
    A qualifying year does not necessarily cost you anything in NI, NI payable is nil on a salary between 4680 and 5460.

Also it "may not be very much" but the maximum "basic" is currently 4716 per year. To buy this pension (escalating by RPI single life no guarantee - i.e. pretty much the basis the state pays it on) would require a fund of approximately 100,000.

To my mind it's a complete no-brainer to ensure one has the required qualifying years.

Comment

Working...
    X