• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Criminal Waiver

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Criminal Waiver

Hi

I'm being asked by my agency to sign a criminal waiver form, essentially stating that I don't have a criminal record and I'm not under investigation. No one else I’ve talked to has been asked to sign anything similar. The form itself is a little amateurish, i.e. it’s not a standard form they ask everyone to sign and they’ve added failure to sign will “result in termination of the contract”.

Now to the best of my knowledge I’ve no convictions for anything other than driving offences. There may be a couple of spent “being a drunken nobend” entries from my youth and a caution but nothing I would want to hide.

I'm a little concerned that it's only me that's been asked to sign this form (although it's stated that all contractors here need to sign one). Admittedly I'm the only one here that has been placed by this agency, I still find this a little wired though.

My questions are:
    Can they terminate my contract if I refuse to sign?
    and
    What are the ramifications of me signing?

Cheers.
    K

Ignore it...
    Older and ...well, just older!!

Comment

Can a company have a criminal conviction?

Comment

Not using the letter they can't (since it wasn't part of your original contract, you aren't bound by it unless or until you sign it). However, they may be able to terminate your contract anyway (e.g. by giving you notice).

probably none, actually. Its common practice to require individuals working on sensitive information to be required to confirm that they haven't got any convictions/adverse history. It only impacts your IR35 status if there are other things in the document that suggest that you are an employee of the agency or end client. For this reason, it is probably better for you to write your own letter stating that you have no convictions, rather than signing the one that they have drafted.
        Plan A is located just about here.
        If that doesn't work, then there's always plan B

Comment

My standard advice on anything like this is always the same.
          They are probably covering their own arses for some reason.

Write them a letter essentialy covering what they need from your company.

e.g. <company name> warrants that <employee name> has no convictions or outstanding investigations which are of any consequence to <company name> or any of their clients.
          <company name> will indemnify its clients and agents against any costs should this information prove to be false.

Have it signed by one of your directors in that capacity.

**NOTE: I am not qualified to give this advice.
          I am not qualified to give the above advice!

The original point and click interface by
          Smith and Wesson.

Step back, have a think and adjust my own own attitude from time to time

Comment

Originally posted by XLMonkey View Post
            Not using the letter they can't (since it wasn't part of your original contract, you aren't bound by it unless or until you sign it). However, they may be able to terminate your contract anyway (e.g. by giving you notice).

probably none, actually. Its common practice to require individuals working on sensitive information to be required to confirm that they haven't got any convictions/adverse history. It only impacts your IR35 status if there are other things in the document that suggest that you are an employee of the agency or end client. For this reason, it is probably better for you to write your own letter stating that you have no convictions, rather than signing the one that they have drafted.

Or write a letter from Your Co confirming that Your Co's Employee [ thats you ] does not have or ever had [ to the knowledge of your co ] and criminal convictions past or pending.
            Cenedl heb iaith, cenedl heb galon

Comment

cheers chaps.

Comment

Working...
              X