• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

BN66 - Time to fight back!!!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
Collapse
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It won't be easy to sell the house, as we've been trying to fix everything that's broke over the last few years, hence my position...

If the theory is correct, when the mortgage is paid off or upon death, the house will have to be sold to pay the debt ?

In the case of unemployment, this must accelerate events. How can they value their 'investment' for purposes of future returns ? Won't HMRC take what they can get, effectively closing out their exposure, after the lender recovers the outstanding from a repo ?

And what happens if their bill is greater than any positive equity ? (or in the case of negative equity, even).

Comment

I'm very sorry to hear you are in this position. It incenses me given the dishonesty and gamesmanship of hmrc, and the fact that you acted within the law as did all of us. I have no equity in my own property, I think its dropped by about 20k in the last 6 months putting me in -ve equity, but I still have a chance of finding someone who will lend me the money (about 40k) or negotiating payment terms (unless hmrc force bankruptcy on me, which would make no sense). I assume however you are in a worse position than I am. Keep your chin up, theres still a chance they wont get away with it.

Comment

Originally posted by poppy01 View Post
        Keep your chin up, theres still a chance they wont get away with it.

IMHO It's a pretty big 'chance' very close to certainty that, after a futile and expensive battle, the retrospective impact of this clarification will be thrown out. Probably on purely technical grounds and possibly on Human Rights infringement.

Hang in there you have nothing to lose by doing nothing right now.

Comment

Originally posted by MuddyFunster View Post
          Yes I did. Was hoping for a response to my questions last week but I still haven't had one.
          Who in montp did you forward to?

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
            Who in montp did you forward to?
            Nat W

Comment

Mr Brannigan

won't be very pleased with the results of the Poll so far.

Comment

Originally posted by DonkeyRhubarb View Post
                won't be very pleased with the results of the Poll so far.
                Mr heart bleeds...

Still - why should he care? He is free to persecute and bully with no sanction. He can spend unlimited taxpayer cash without worrying about cost effectiveness.

If HMRC had a brain they would have closed scheme in 2002...

Comment

Originally posted by elpinar View Post
                  hmrc gave an estimate ? to who? did you call and ask or something?
                  In the course of correspondence I sent to HMRC as directed by MP, MP asked HMRC to state how much I owed.

HMRC replied direct to me that MP had only issued draft accounts and therefore, the figures were pretty meaningless but, based on MP's draft accounts, specified how much tax & NI was owed (I cant find this doc now but it must be somewhere!).

I have not contacted HMRC unless directed by MP.
                  I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

Just wanted to say thanks to everyone who is posting information and feedback on this thread.

I've been with MP from early 2002 to present. I don't have all the money that I would owe if HMRC come knocking of that I'm sure. However I'm doing what it seems most people are doing and covering things the best way they can.

Sit tight and lets fight this out together!

Comment

Dear Mr Brannigan

Dear Mr Brannigan

Please note your revised statement of account enclosed. You will note that you are significantly in arrears on your payment of tax. Due to serial mismanagement of the UK economy over the last 11 years we have had to raise the basic rate of tax to 40%. In order to restore any financial credibility we have had to backdate this to April 1997 so that we can claim we did not raise taxes whilst in Government.

Please note that interest at the statutory rate has been applied to the late payments. We look forward to receiving your cheque within the next 7 days.

Yours

Gordon Brown

Hello Mr B, how would you feel?
                      Join the No To Retro Tax Campaign Now
                      "Tax evasion is easy: it involves breaking the law. By tax avoidance OECD means unacceptable avoidance ... This can be contrasted with acceptable tax planning. What is critical is transparency" - Donald Johnston, Secretary-General, OECD

Comment

Working...
                      X