• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

P11D travel expenses + 2yr rule

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

P11D travel expenses + 2yr rule

I am currently claiming travel expenses within the 2yr rule

How are these treated on the 2008 P11D ie as a taxable benefit?

I'm getting mixed messages from the accountants (again!).

they are allowable expenses.

IANAA
    IANAL

I can read HMRC's website and rules.

Next!

Comment

Moorfield, its not surprising that you are getting mixed messages. As usual the regs are ambiguous.

Strictly speaking, if yuo don't have a dispensation for the expenses, you should P11d them. In practice, no tax inspector is going to care as they are genuine expenses and there's no charge to tax. I had a client in this position who had a PAYE compliance visit recently and this was the view taken by the inspector.

If in doubt get a dispensation, though.

Comment

Originally posted by Just1morethen View Post
        Moorfield, its not surprising that you are getting mixed messages. As usual the regs are ambiguous.

Strictly speaking, if yuo don't have a dispensation for the expenses, you should P11d them. In practice, no tax inspector is going to care as they are genuine expenses and there's no charge to tax. I had a client in this position who had a PAYE compliance visit recently and this was the view taken by the inspector.
        My accountant said pretty much the same thing last year. It was my choice, but a nil P11d was submitted last year.

Comment

So, when you put your Business incurred expenses in Box 16 (this is the old Box 1.23), do you then offset it again in Box 17 (old box 1.33) , otherwise the contents of Box 16 just adds to your Tax liability? Or shouldn't non-taxable expenses be in Box 16(Box1.23) at all? This issue is confusing me also after recieving my P11d which have been assigned to category 1.23 (which is now Box 16!)

Comment

Originally posted by rawly View Post
            So, when you put your Business incurred expenses in Box 16 (this is the old Box 1.23), do you then offset it again in Box 17 (old box 1.33) ,
            Assume you're talking about the Self Assessment? Yes, think that is the other way of doing it if your P11D lists a (taxable) benefit and you have no dispensation. Of course it must all be wholly / exclusively business travel etc. etc.

Comment

Originally posted by moorfield View Post
              Assume you're talking about the Self Assessment? Yes, think that is the other way of doing it if your P11D lists a (taxable) benefit and you have no dispensation. Of course it must all be wholly / exclusively business travel etc. etc.
              Yes indeed. I logged on last night to have a play with the new Form, and I noticed they have changed the Box Numbers on the redesigned form.... I was just getting an idea of how much will be due.

I was just a little unclear on how to Nullify the Tax due for the P11d which are wholly within the 2 Year rule for Business Travel and Subsistence. I assumed you did it the 2nd way I described. (Boxes 16 and 17 both being equal). It's just that the guidelines for Box 16 say "for Permanent workplace", which made me think again, but I don't see any other way of doing it.

Comment

Working...
              X