• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Giant.... dispensation...ahem.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by gadgetman View Post
    What about obtaining a dispensation for your own Ltd.

I know it can and has been done.

Best of both worlds?
    My dispensation has no limit on it.

Encouraging tax fraud is not really having the best of both worlds, though.

Not worth it as far as I'm concerned.
    Best Forum Advisor 2014
    Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
    Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Lighten up Tingles. Your brolly is giving you a break for paying the highest deductions possible. To avoid having tax fraud on your conscience, withdraw the £90 and spend it along the way without receipts as you're entitled to do. Otherwise if you want to account for every Mars bar, setup a limited company of your own with no dispensations and run it with military precision (with the help of a good accountant of course) which you'll find more lucrative anyway.

Comment

Claim it!

Don't go looking for trouble, let trouble come and find you. You got a £90 dispensation so use it. You're already paying a lot of tax/ni so take the cash and be-damned. The chance of an investigation is very small. HMRC is not interested in small fish like you. He likes tasty Ltd co contractors that he can do for n years of IR35 taxes.

OK, you're winging it to an extent, but who isn't in this game.

Comment

Originally posted by BigTime View Post
          Lighten up Tingles. Your brolly is giving you a break for paying the highest deductions possible. To avoid having tax fraud on your conscience, withdraw the £90 and spend it along the way without receipts as you're entitled to do. Otherwise if you want to account for every Mars bar, setup a limited company of your own with no dispensations and run it with military precision (with the help of a good accountant of course) which you'll find more lucrative anyway.
          Or just don't spend it and be better off...
          ǝןqqıʍ

Comment

Originally posted by gadgetman View Post
            What about obtaining a dispensation for your own Ltd.

I know it can and has been done.

Best of both worlds?
            I've already got one. But AFAIK it isn't a licence to take tax free cash.
            Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
            Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

On the other hand, those HMRC scale rates seem like tax free per diems no questions asked if you work abroad?
              Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
              Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

Originally posted by Tingles View Post
                Hi Member of Parliament,

Following our conversation earlier regarding your expenses. You would be able to claim for the set amount of £250 per allowable item without receipts, even if the cost you incurred is less then the set amount. The difference between the actual amounts you paid and the amount claimed is covered by the dispensation we have with HMRC.

I hope this information helps, if you do have any further questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Regards

So the government surely have a dispensation which allows £250 per item unreceipted expenditure. Maybe Giant just have a smaller one. How is everyone not in the same "generous expenses allowance" boat?

Comment

My post was purely in response to Fred Bloggs suggestion about moving to a brolly to get the dispensation. My point was that you don't need to go to a brolly to get one.

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
                  My dispensation has no limit on it.

Encouraging tax fraud is not really having the best of both worlds, though.

Not worth it as far as I'm concerned.

Comment

Originally posted by BigTime View Post
                    NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO!!!!!

How many times does this need to be said?

If you are claiming anything, then you need to keep receipts. The employer does not need to see them, but if they ever investigated, HMRC would need to see them.

There is an argument to be had that says that HMRC probably won't investigate - that's up to you to determine whether you think that they will or won't. If they do, and you can't prove that what was repaid is a valid expense, then it will be reclassified as income and you will pay income tax and NI on it.
                    Best Forum Advisor 2014

Comment

Originally posted by Turion View Post
                      Don't go looking for trouble, let trouble come and find you. You got a £90 dispensation so use it. You're already paying a lot of tax/ni so take the cash and be-damned. The chance of an investigation is very small. HMRC is not interested in small fish like you. He likes tasty Ltd co contractors that he can do for n years of IR35 taxes.

OK, you're winging it to an extent, but who isn't in this game.
                      Tell that to SallyAnne - I think that the original tax demand was £15k before she argued it.

OK, she was limited, but it was expenses that were being targeted and discounted, IIRC.
                      Best Forum Advisor 2014

Comment

Working...
                      X