• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

HMRC Penalties

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
    Spot the guy that's never worked in accountancy...

A £50 discrepancy in a £1m ledger could be two not-quite matching £900k discrepancies. You have to track them down and reconcile (or explain) to the penny. I've spent a few days doing that job in the past. Also a key audit point in any company's books is that the cash ledger (or net balance of available cash) will match precisely to the bank account at the same point in time. The FD will be very nervous if they don't.

All the monies going through the books must be auditable and accountable, that basic principles. How you fund it is another question of course.

As to how it interests HMRC, if you misrepresent your cash position they will assume you may be concealing profits and hence evading tax, or you may be laundering monies on behalf of a third party. Neither option is desirable!
    Apparently it was something similar that almost brought Airtours down. I heard they did their accounts on a spreadsheet and never bothered reconciling the bank account, hence the massive black hole!

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
      Spot the guy that's never worked in accountancy...

A £50 discrepancy in a £1m ledger could be two not-quite matching £900k discrepancies. You have to track them down and reconcile (or explain) to the penny. I've spent a few days doing that job in the past. Also a key audit point in any company's books is that the cash ledger (or net balance of available cash) will match precisely to the bank account at the same point in time. The FD will be very nervous if they don't.

All the monies going through the books must be auditable and accountable, that basic principles. How you fund it is another question of course.

As to how it interests HMRC, if you misrepresent your cash position they will assume you may be concealing profits and hence evading tax, or you may be laundering monies on behalf of a third party. Neither option is desirable!
      I worked for a norwegian computing company in 1983 as a holiday job in accounts firm - the previous year their bank reconciliation was out by £800. I found half of it (by luck).

I guess standards are different these days...

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
        I worked for a norwegian computing company in 1983 as a holiday job in accounts firm - the previous year their bank reconciliation was out by £800. I found half of it (by luck).
        ...And trousered the remaining £400

Comment

Originally posted by Turion View Post
          ...And trousered the remaining £400
          Well if he did his ex has got £200 of it in her trousers now
          Eat Right, Exercise, Die Anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by WHA View Post
            Apparently it was something similar that almost brought Airtours down. I heard they did their accounts on a spreadsheet and never bothered reconciling the bank account, hence the massive black hole!
            The run Oracle Financials. Not sure I'd describe it as a spreadsheet
            Best Forum Advisor 2014
            Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
            Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by miffy View Post
              Well if he did his ex has got £200 of it in her trousers now
              £400 . and all my wages from my time there. and even all the biros I pinched.

Comment

Working...
              X