• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Hmm, Accountancy Issues...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hmm, Accountancy Issues...

I had my SA tax return calculated by my (well know) accountant and they gave me the figures and told me to submit with a cheque for circa. 2.5k to the HMRC. I duly did so like the good tax ridden guy that I am.

Last week, I get some correspondance back from our friends at HMRC with their calculation that I owe them £100 odd.

Spoke to said accountant, who I sent scans of the HMRC docs to and they come back with "oh yeah, they are right, we transposed some incorrect figures."

Hmmm, so I reply that I am suprised as the 2.5k has not been mentioned in the HMRC calculation.

Oh yes, said my accountant, I see what you mean - speak to the HMRC, they owe you some money.

I speak to them, they agree and are sending me a cheque for 2k+ (nice in most circumstances)

Should I be cheesed off with my accountant?!?!? Should I trust them any further????

Obviously I am going to discuss it further with them when I calm down!

Originally posted by kirk View Post

Should I be cheesed off with my accountant?!?!? Should I trust them any further????

Obviously I am going to discuss it further with them when I calm down!
    Give us a clue ?

My well known accountants have noddeyed up a few times (do a search and you'll see who). Moral of the story: don't rely on them to do it all - you do need to keep your own records.

Comment

Last edited by Bumfluff; 28 March 2008, 23:08.

Comment

To be fair £2k is not a small chunk of change. Did you not even think about if it was right or not.

Comment

Originally posted by Sockpuppet View Post
          To be fair £2k is not a small chunk of change. Did you not even think about if it was right or not.
          I did yeah, I even questioned it, but the answer I was given seemed feasible. i.e. As I had move from permie, my divi's had taken me over the threshold!

Comment

Originally posted by moorfield View Post
            Moral of the story: don't rely on them to do it all - you do need to keep your own records.
            Bollocks. I pay my accountant to be right 100% of the time.
            Older and ...well, just older!!

Comment

do your own SA return.

Why would you pay someone?

It calculates it all for you online.

Do these people work it out with a pen and paper???

Comment

Originally posted by ratewhore View Post
                Bollocks. I pay my accountant to be right 100% of the time.
                I used to think the same until I got my last draft year end accounts (from one of the well known accountants on here) which were completely wrong - I had to correct myself. As a ltdco director one is ultimately responsible for signing all that off so one would be pretty stupid not to keep tabs on what the number bods are doing.

Comment

Originally posted by moorfield View Post
                  I used to think the same until I got my last draft year end accounts (from one of the well known accountants on here) which were completely wrong - I had to correct myself. As a ltdco director one is ultimately responsible for signing all that off so one would be pretty stupid not to keep tabs on what the number bods are doing.
                  Funnily enough I'm going through the same thing at the moment. It might yet turn out to be my mistake and I just can't see it, in which case they'll be worth every penny. But I'm pretty sure it's not.

I bet most people just sign this stuff and don't bother checking it.
                  Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by kirk View Post
                    Should I be cheesed off with my accountant?!?!?
                    ABSOLUTELY.

However, you should have a vague idea of what your end of year tax bill should be! In my experience you really have to check everything yourself. People make mistakes but when you sign these official forms YOU are taking responsibility for the figures.

Comment

Working...
                    X