• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Have to pass Credit Check before Contract Start?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Have to pass Credit Check before Contract Start?

I had been put forward for a contract through an agency, had an interview, and 3 hours later got offered the contract by the agency and I accepted. Then I received an email with a Credit Check Authorisation form, stating if it came that there were any defaults (Satisfied or not) over £500 on my history the offer would be rejected.

This was not explained when I went for the contract, nor when the offer was made. I know that my Credit rating is poor, almost 2 years ago I got stuffed when I was freelancing, bought a few servers for a contract, the company that I was working for went bust, and I almost went bust too, but I have recovered and paid off the debt, however there is a default on my file from then for over £500, so it is likely this contract will get withdrawn.

Anyone know where I stand on this, and what rights I have?

First time I have ever had to go for a credit check and been in contracting for over 10 years.

Help much appreciated.

It is on your credit record for four years from the time that you paid off the amount in full. There is nothing you can do to change this (I got into problems a few years ago myself and am currently blacklisted until feb next year, fours years from the date I paid back the money that I owed) .

Has to be said that I really don't see how this affects the agency, you are not paying them they are paying you so what the hell do your personal finances have to do with anything ????

I would phone ask them why the hell they need to sift through your personal finances and ge them to give you a damn good reason, its none of thier business. I have never heard of this before and my credit problems have never affected any contracts I have done.

Comment

Credit Checks

Is your contract in the financial services sector? If so, this is standard procedure and is part of their fraud prevention regulations....can be a bit of a pain in the backside but not much that can be done about it.

Would be a bit concerned that this wasn't raised by the agency before the offer was made.

Comment

Is this a personal credit check or a company one?

tim

Comment

Neither of these happened in the UK, but...

A guy who helpled train me in my first job later went bankrupt - I'm not sure why. This was after he divorced and became a contractor (at the same company.) The company terminated his contract - as a matter of policy they didn't allow people with "dodgy" financial backgrounds to work for them.

My brother's first job out of school was working in a bank branch - he was told that if he ever so much as bounced a cheque (let alone left a debt unpaid) he would be sacked. (Mind you, unlike the UK, in many countries bouncing a cheque is a criminal offense, similar to fraud.)

Comment

Originally posted by IR35 Avoider
            My brother's first job out of school was working in a bank branch - he was told that if he ever so much as bounced a cheque (let alone left a debt unpaid) he would be sacked. (Mind you, unlike the UK, in many countries bouncing a cheque is a criminal offense, similar to fraud.)
            What countries is bouncing a cheque illegal? Sounds a bit like hogwash to me mate.

Mailman

Comment

Bouncing a cheque

France - it is illegal to have your cheque bounced - basically it's simply a law that states that it is illegal to write a cheque when you don't have sufficient funds in the account.

Comment

I believe it is a personal credit check, havent heard anything back yet, should have heard something today. The contract is for a major bank, just feel like I am stuck in limbo at the mo, its a job I could do with my eyes closed, but because of some policy set its holding this up, the Project manager was dead keen for me to start asap, and now this.... ggggrrrrrr

Comment

so why did you personally (instead of a limited company) buy several servers on credit?

Just interested (assuming that this was how it happened)

tim

Comment

Originally posted by Mailman
                    What countries is bouncing a cheque illegal? Sounds a bit like hogwash to me mate.

Mailman

In the USA is is illegal to deliberately bounce a cheque.

(I also had a couple of other countries in mind, apart from France, but have been unabled to confirm with a quick google.)

It looks like it's also illegal in India.
                    Last edited by IR35 Avoider; 18 July 2005, 21:03.

Comment

Working...
                    X