• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Agencies and Late Payment Penalties

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

PCG Advice

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
    If you're a PCG member, it's probably worth ringing their legal helpline and see what they suggest - seems like this is an unfair term in the contract that any court would kick out.

Did you opt out of the agency regulations, in writing, before meeting the client? There may be some more protection you can get from being opted in.
    Opted out so there is little joy there.

The Legal Helpline of the PCG's summary of the situation was that given I accepted the late payment terms in Pendragon’s contract and had not submitted/negotiated my own company terms to them (which could have stated late payment becomes due after 30 days from submission of invoice say), it is unlikely that the court would find in my favour.

The question of whether their late payment term should be void as it is not “a substantial remedy” would also be influenced by the size of the loss I have incurred through being paid late.

Looks as if the only option is to check my legal cover and ask the court to decide.

Comment

Originally posted by Janner View Post
      Looks as if the only option is to check my legal cover and ask the court to decide.
      Not true. Find another contract.

Are they constantly paying the invoice beyond the contractually agreed terms? If so, then find another gig and take the necessary steps to get any outstanding amounts paid.

If they generally pay on time, I would suggest you are over-analysing the situation.
      Older and ...well, just older!!

Comment

My understanding is that the legislation doesn't allow a big co to bully a small co into accepting unfair terms. But 30 days of extra credit, as you've been told, probably won't be see as massively unfair.

If the agency pay consistently late, then perhaps you should consider a sort of dunning process. 1st time - letter to your agent, explaining that the agency has paid late, and that you find this unacceptable, and not in the terms of your contract. 2nd time - letter to agent saying that you are severely dischuffed that this has happened again, and if it occurs one more time, you'll consider it to be a material breach of contract. 3rd time - tell them their in breach of contract and walk. Or if the client is amenable (and able), go direct. Late payment itself is a minor breach - but regular late payment may not be.

I'd also go to the payontime website and ask the question there. I did this a few years ago, and had an answer within a week.
        Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by ratewhore View Post
          Not true. Find another contract.

Are they constantly paying the invoice beyond the contractually agreed terms? If so, then find another gig and take the necessary steps to get any outstanding amounts paid.

If they generally pay on time, I would suggest you are over-analysing the situation.
          50% of their payments have been late. We raised the issue to the client that the constant chasing of the Agency was a distraction which we could do without. (The Agency have a preferred supplier status).
          The Client informed the Agency that they were not happy, especially when it turned out that of the 20 consultants provided by the Agency at least 7 others have also been paid late on more than one occasion.
          The Agency have now promised to try and pay on time in future.
          I now invoice weekly to reduce the risk.

Comment

Originally posted by Cheshire Cat View Post
            Does anyone have experience of negotiating payment schedules with pimps?
            For information one of the other contractors has just tried to negotiate with the Agency and got this response.
            'Although I am appreciative of your request in terms of our clause 11.6, I am afraid it is not something that we could consider altering at this stage.

Owing to the complex and confusing legislation of the late payment of commercial debts act, this is not a decision that can be taken lightly for a number of reassons :

We firstly need to ensure that our clause is the same as or close to that offered by our own debtors, and thereafter need to ensure that the rate is set as a deterrent against us making late payment to our suppliers.

The most important issue in terms of one off requests is that we are legally bound to show conformity in what we offer to each and every supplier.

Therefore we would need to review every contract we have in place, and not make one off changes to our standard terms of business, in order not to undermine the validity of our legal position."

Comment

Can't be bothered with agents like that. If it were me I'd move on. I appreciate though that many may not have that luxury.
              Older and ...well, just older!!

Comment

Originally posted by Janner View Post
                The most important issue in terms of one off requests is that we are legally bound to show conformity in what we offer to each and every supplier.
                Round objects. There is nothing to stop a company having different terms and conditions with every supplier. It's just more convenient not to.

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
                  Round objects. There is nothing to stop a company having different terms and conditions with every supplier. It's just more convenient not to.
                  Who is Round, and to what does he object?
                  Best Forum Advisor 2014
                  Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
                  Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Should have said COGS - consignment of geriatric shoe-makers.

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
                      Should have said COGS - consignment of geriatric shoe-makers.
                      You are Sir Humphrey Appleby / Bernard Woolley and I claim my £5.
                      Best Forum Advisor 2014
                      Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
                      Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Working...
                      X