• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

I'm putting away 20% of my monthly income for corp Tax

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm putting away 20% of my monthly income for corp Tax

But what about NI and income tax what % should I be sticking away for this?

What salary are you paying yourself???

And 20% of what, exactly, are you "putting away" for CT?
    If she weighs the same as a duck, she's made of wood. And therefore a witch!

Comment

Originally posted by 51st State View Post
      What salary are you paying yourself???

And 20% of what, exactly, are you "putting away" for CT?

Currently putting away 20% of my invoice amount for Corp Tax per month

Comment

Do you not have an accountant? Sounds like you need one!

You should put away 20% (21% in a few weeks time) of monthly profit. I.e.

Invoice amount + VAT charged - VAT payable - salary - employers NI - expenses
        It's about time I changed this sig...

Comment

The answers will depend on what your needs are, what you are invoicing and what you want to do with your business.

You need to speak to an accountant.

Comment

At the moment I put aside 32% of my gross incoming to account for VAT and CT, this will go up to 33% in a couple of weeks.

Anything left over after I have paid VAT and CT is my bonus

Comment

Originally posted by roadster198 View Post
              Better than a lot of people do and you should be congratulated for that. Remember though that NI and PAYE will probably be paid quarterly so should be easier to account for.
              Older and ...well, just older!!

Comment

Originally posted by roadster198 View Post
                The money in the company bank account is not your money. There's no point "putting away" x% as you literally can't.

It's only your money after you pay salary to you (which incur PAYE & NI) and/or you give yourself a dividend (which also incur personal tax).

This of course +/- expenses. Looks like you are in need of an accountant buddy. Go get one. It's less paperwork now by treating the money in your company bank account as your money (it isn't), but in actual fact you're only delaying the hassle to the end of the company year.

Comment

I know someone who treated his company Bank Account as his own money for his first few months in contracting.

He ended up having to fight of all his creditors when the VAT bill came because he'd spent all the VAT money.

tim

Comment

Originally posted by tim123 View Post
                    I know someone who treated his company Bank Account as his own money for his first few months in contracting.

He ended up having to fight of all his creditors when the VAT bill came because he'd spent all the VAT money.

That's hilarious! Totally reckless, but funny all the same!

I used to know a guy who just "dipped in" when he wanted something new (usually a substantial purchase like a plasma tv). He'd then leave the accountant to "sort it" as he put it

He also used to wind his company up every two years and just leave a few quid for the IR and VAT quoting that they should just "help themselves" to whats left

I'd never dream of that (I don't think I have the balls), but I can't help but laugh at other peoples recklessness.
                    Eat Right, Exercise, Die Anyway.

Comment

Working...
                    X