• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Another Expenses Question !!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
    What is a reasonable process for making checks? I know if I send an employee to work on a client site that he's going to be claiming some expenses. If he claims £100 a night for the hotel, and £40 for the meals, that's not unreasonable, given that I know he really is working away from home. Is checking the expenses are within reasonable limits sufficient? Do HMRC have any guidelines about what checks the employer should make?

Anyway in ltdco cases the employer has an excellent checking procedure - the MD accompanies the employee.

Hmm. Let's see. I work away from home. My company has a procedure of checking employee expenses by sending someone to check. My wife could do that. As she's only with me in order to fulfill the company checking policy, that's entirely necessarily and solely for business purposes, so the company can pay her expenses too!

In fact, when we take our holiday in the Seychelles, she should also come with me, so that she can disallow the expense. Then her expenses are paid for by the company.
    For most, it's an irrelevant question, since you need a dispensation to be able to do this.

As for what's a reasonable check, you'd need to ask HMRC. If you have a dispensation, then ring HMRC and discuss it with them - I'm sure that they will give some degree of non-binding advice that they could backtrack on. If you haven't got a dispensation, then the point is moot.
    Best Forum Advisor 2014
    Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
    Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
      What is a reasonable process for making checks? I know if I send an employee to work on a client site that he's going to be claiming some expenses. If he claims £100 a night for the hotel, and £40 for the meals, that's not unreasonable, given that I know he really is working away from home. Is checking the expenses are within reasonable limits sufficient? Do HMRC have any guidelines about what checks the employer should make?

Anyway in ltdco cases the employer has an excellent checking procedure - the MD accompanies the employee.

Hmm. Let's see. I work away from home. My company has a procedure of checking employee expenses by sending someone to check. My wife could do that. As she's only with me in order to fulfill the company checking policy, that's entirely necessarily and solely for business purposes, so the company can pay her expenses too!

In fact, when we take our holiday in the Seychelles, she should also come with me, so that she can disallow the expense. Then her expenses are paid for by the company.
      You're starting to sound like the former head of the National Audit Office, Sir John Bourne.

Comment

Originally posted by Olly View Post
        rent a room limit is £4250 per tax year.
        I had exactly same problem today. Got my friend to write a reciept since it doesn't actually burden them tax wise to do so.

It's still less than 25 per night dispensation though for that you need an umbrella company.
        They may change their mind come the end of the financial year where they realise that they have got another £4,250 worth of income to pay tax on.... The only way I can see it not burdening them is if they don't work at all....

Comment

Originally posted by Ardesco View Post
          They may change their mind come the end of the financial year where they realise that they have got another £4,250 worth of income to pay tax on.... The only way I can see it not burdening them is if they don't work at all....
          Rent a Room scheme income is tax free - http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/MoneyTax...ome/DG_4017804

Assuming that they are only providing a room, rather than bed and breakfast / lanudry etc. - in which case the rent can still be tax free, but the extras aren't.
          Best Forum Advisor 2014

Comment

Interesting, I didn't know about that. I wonder if I can rent my wife a room.....

Comment

Originally posted by Ardesco View Post
              Interesting, I didn't know about that. I wonder if I can rent my wife a room.....
              Also interesting is that although HMRC refer to it fairly often as "an average of approx £80 a week" there's nothing to stop you renting a room at £160 a week for half the year, or even renting a room from your mate at £4250 a week for one week (although that may seem a tad suspicious).
              Best Forum Advisor 2014

Comment

Working...
              X