• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

pay myself a pension

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

pay myself a pension

Does anyone know the mechanics of paying yourself a pension through a LTD Co. ? I already have two stakeholder pensions through previous management companies, now I'm running my own LTD Co. I want to start paying myself a pension through the LTD Co, but I am not sure how this is done. Do I simply transfer the cash straight into the stakeholder pension every month from my business bank account, then account for all the contributions at the end of the tax year ? Or is there some other process. Advice welcome.

AFAIK that's the way to do it. 100% non contributary is the max these days isn't it? You could ask the accountant of course.

NN
    "Israel, Palestine, Cats." He Said
    "See?"

Comment

Originally posted by aucomptoir View Post
      Does anyone know the mechanics of paying yourself a pension through a LTD Co. ? I already have two stakeholder pensions through previous management companies, now I'm running my own LTD Co. I want to start paying myself a pension through the LTD Co, but I am not sure how this is done. Do I simply transfer the cash straight into the stakeholder pension every month from my business bank account, then account for all the contributions at the end of the tax year ? Or is there some other process. Advice welcome.
      Ask the pension provider for their procedure for an employer contribution. Typically you fill in a form and send off a company cheque with it. (I pay single contributions once a quarter, once I know know how much I want to contribute. Avoid regular contributions, there is extra hassle involved.)

You just record the amounts in the company accounts as an expense. I keep acknowledgement letters or print-outs of contributions statements from the providers web-site as evidence of where the money went.
      Last edited by IR35 Avoider; 28 February 2008, 16:32.

Comment

Originally posted by aucomptoir View Post
        There was a big thread recently about this (mainly about paying from Co. account vs. personal account). Do a search and you should find it fairly easily.

Personal account better until this April when Co. account better. You need to inform your pension company that the money is coming gross from a Ltd so they don't reclaim tax. I sent off my form last week to switch from personal to company payments.

Comment

Thanks all. I've just found those old threads. Will take a long read.

Comment

Originally posted by NickNick View Post
            AFAIK that's the way to do it. 100% non contributary is the max these days isn't it? You could ask the accountant of course.

NN
            100%/£3800 as a personal contribution, or about £250k from the company

Comment

Working...
            X