• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Employing a nanny

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post

"Mummy, does the au pair have a removable bottom?"
    "No, dear. Why?"
    "Because daddy said he'd like to screw the @rse off her!"
    I can see Next Doors Au pair from where I'm sitting.

Just thought I'd mention that.
    "Israel, Palestine, Cats." He Said
    "See?"

Comment

Originally posted by NickNick View Post
      Did you type that with 1 hand?

Comment

Originally posted by NickNick View Post

Just thought I'd mention that.
        I can see next doors old pair from where I'm sitting.
        She's eighty and outside pruning the roses
        Confusion is a natural state of being

Comment

Originally posted by oracleslave View Post
          Did you type that with 1 hand?
          I typed mine with one hand

You had to be there (in joke)
          Confusion is a natural state of being

Comment

Originally posted by WindyAnna View Post
            Au pairs are much cheaper but younger, unqualified and living with you!!

What does Mr Windy Anna think.

Comment

Oh and it costs be about £30K per year to employ her - her gross works out at about £27K - and worth every penny caring for my pride and joy!! She clears about £80 for every day she works.
              yozers! my nanny is going to be the mother-in-law - she's looking better value every minute
              Plan A is located just about here.
              If that doesn't work, then there's always plan B

Comment

Not sure about this..

I'm having an internal debat about whether to stay umbrella or go Ltd - both Mr WA and I are inside IR35 so teh debate is not as clear cut as if we weren't. (I have heard all the arguments either way a number of times so not needing to hear them again) but I heard an interesting possibility the other day that could really swing it Ltd - but I don't think it is valid - anyone got any experience ...

I employ my nanny personally as a small employer meaning that apart from the small part I can claim pre-tax in childcare vouchers I am paying her salary (and thus tax) on money I've already been taxed on.

Met a lady who employs her nanny through her Ltd Co. Her argument is that her home is her registered place of work and she operates a workplace creche. She employs her nanny as a "Creche Manager" and states that the creche is available for all employees. she is the only employee and her job requires her to be out on client site 99% of the time. She then places her child in the care of the workplace creche and 'pays' £30 a day for the privilege. Nanny costs are around £30K a year, in excess of £110 a day so this is beneficial.

Does this sound right?

Cheers

Windy
                I'm not sure this works, Windy. In order to avoid a benefit in kind in respect of the provision of childcare by an employer, the following provisions must be met:

1. The child has to be yours or maintained by you at your expense / or resident with you.
                2. The premises on which the care is provided are not used wholly or mainly as a private dwelling and any applicable registration is met.
                3. Those premises are made availalble by the employeer operating the childcare scheme.
                4. The childcare scheme is open to all employees.

This scheme obviously falls down on the second of the above criteria. Therefore, HMRC will want to assess tax on the benefit in kind provided by the employer.

Now, you may have an argument here. The question is, "What is the value of the childcare provided". The value of the nanny is obviously £30k per year. However, the benefit of providing a creche probably is close to the £30 per day being paid. If HMRC accept that all you are getting out of the arrangement are creche services, you may be OK. My guess is that they'd argue your getting a nanny and that the BIK needs to be assessed on the £30k per year less what you are paying, which puts another £22k of income in your hands on which PAYE and NI must be paid.

Comment

Thanks friendlyaccountant - will do the sums and decide what works out best.

Comment

Originally posted by Sockpuppet View Post

What does Mr Windy Anna think.
                    Mr WindyAnna has seen the au pair who lives round the corner and now he is VERY afraid! She is one scary chick!

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
                      With your luck, the creche will go bankrupt, somehow owing you money!!

I've asked my accountant and see what he says...
                      Here's what my accountant said:

From your email I understand that the nanny is being employed at your friend's home/workplace and the Limited company pays £30 per day to the nanny for care of the child.

If your friend thought that this would not be a benefit in kind assessable on her, then unfortunately I think that she is incorrect.

Although the "Nursery" is provided by the employer who makes premises available the tax exemption will only apply if the facilities comply with legal requirements for local authority registration and cannot be provided on premises that are mainly used as a private dwelling.

The Company can continue to employ the nanny however the employee will be taxed on the salary and employer's National Insurance paid by the Company.

However if the employer was to make childcare vouchers available of up to £55 per week to its employees and the nanny was a person approved to care for the child by the relevant authority then the first £55 of the £150 per week of the nanny's salary would be exempt from tax and NI.
                      Best Forum Advisor 2014
                      Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
                      Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Working...
                      X