• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Simple VAT Question

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sockpuppet View Post
    You mean asking him why Jaffa Cakes are vat free when they are clearly biscuits isn''t going to help?

Hello ... they're not called Jaffa Biscuits! They are cakes albeit little biscuity ones.

Comment

Originally posted by Lewis View Post

Hello ... they're not called Jaffa Biscuits! They are cakes albeit little biscuity ones.
      Biscuits go soft when they go off, cake goes hard. Jaffa Cakes go hard so they are cakes.

Comment

Isn't there an upper cap on FRS? WIth my old Ltd I never bothered because I expensed a lot, all wholly and exclusively for the business of course.

With my new company, I am hardly expensing anything but I thought the turnover limit was around the £150K mark so I never bothered applying for it...

Older and ...well, just older!!

Comment

Originally posted by moorfield View Post
          No that's not right. Your bank interest is not classed as turnover so no VAT applied but it will be included on your P&L account classed as other income ie you will pay corp tax on it (if you make a profit of course).
          From the guide to Fixed rate VAT

Your flat rate turnover is all the supplies your business makes, including VAT. This means all of the following:

the VAT inclusive sales and takings for standard rate, zero rate and reduced rate supplies
          the value of exempt supplies, such as rent or lottery commission. You can find out more about exempt income in Notice 700 The VAT Guide
          supplies of capital expenditure goods, unless they are supplies on which VAT has to be calculated outside the flat rate scheme in accordance with paragraph 15.9 and
          the value of any despatches to other Member States of the EC if you are making intra EC supplies. For details see Notice 725 The Single Market.

(My bold) Bank Interest is an exempt supply so should be counted

Comment

Originally posted by Archangel View Post
            From the guide to Fixed rate VAT

Your flat rate turnover is all the supplies your business makes, including VAT. This means all of the following:

the VAT inclusive sales and takings for standard rate, zero rate and reduced rate supplies
            the value of exempt supplies, such as rent or lottery commission. You can find out more about exempt income in Notice 700 The VAT Guide
            supplies of capital expenditure goods, unless they are supplies on which VAT has to be calculated outside the flat rate scheme in accordance with paragraph 15.9 and
            the value of any despatches to other Member States of the EC if you are making intra EC supplies. For details see Notice 725 The Single Market.

(My bold) Bank Interest is an exempt supply so should be counted

I agree with Moorfield you ignore bank interest from the FRS calculation. My accountants are also in agreement.

Comment

Originally posted by Lewis View Post
              I agree with Moorfield you ignore bank interest from the FRS calculation. My accountants are also in agreement.
              On what basis are you making that assertion (not your agreement with Moorfield )

Comment

From the VAT FRS guide on the webby at:-
                http://customs.hmrc.gov.uk/channelsP...00345#P88_6880

This is the test to join the scheme - if you exclude Bank interest from this, then IMHO you also exclude from the FRS calculations?

3.3 How do I work out my total income for Test 2?
                Leave out any anticipated sales of capital assets but include all of the following:

the total value of the supplies you worked out in Test 1
                the value of any exempt supplies, such as rent, lottery commission or bank interest on a business account and
                any other income received or receivable by your business. This includes any non-business income such as that from charitable or educational activities.

Comment

I am confused now ... I thought you meant that you include bank interest in the quarterly FRS calculation.

Are you talking about including the bank interest in the £150K allowance which decides if you can join the FRS or not? (I don't know the answer to that)

Comment

FFS No you don't. Speak to your accountant if you don't believe me.

Comment

Originally posted by moorfield View Post
                      FFS No you don't. Speak to your accountant if you don't believe me.
                      If you are saying that when calculating the VAT you pay each quarter you include your bank interest as well as your invoices (+VAT) then I think you are wrong. My accountants (who frequent here a lot) have done VAT returns for me and they do not include bank interest. If I am wrong, I will be on their case! Mal, you are all knowing ... answer please

Comment

Working...
                      X