• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Trip to san fran

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Trip to san fran

I just purchased my flights for a weeks holiday to San Fran over the easter break. originally this was intended to be a personal trip but am now thinking of going to a java (The Server Side) conference over there.

I have paid for flights and accom off my personal account, but was chatting to a another contractor at work and he said i was mad not to expense the trip.

Would it be acceptable to expense this? just wondering and not trying to con the tax man.

Originally posted by reddeagle View Post
    I just purchased my flights for a weeks holiday to San Fran over the easter break. originally this was intended to be a personal trip but am now thinking of going to a java (The Server Side) conference over there.

I have paid for flights and accom off my personal account, but was chatting to a another contractor at work and he said i was mad not to expense the trip.

Would it be acceptable to expense this? just wondering and not trying to con the tax man.
    Your going for a week - how long is the conference? If it is 5 days or so and you can honestly say there is a business need/benefit to you going to it then maybe.

If it is 2 days then going for a week is clearly a holiday!

However, how much are the flights/accommodation? How much are you going to save in real terms? Depends on a number of factors such as whether you pay higher rate tax, whether YourCo is on FRS VAt etc but potentially you'll only save a fifth of the total cost - is it worth it if it is a marginal call?
    Si posse, recte, si non, quocumque modo rem

Comment

Originally posted by reddeagle View Post

Hey man if you want a holiday then pay for it like everyone else does but I dont see how u can put it through your business as a legit business expense unless it is a legit business expense. I get real f****d off with the masses that think they can pay for there private holidays and whatever through their company.Why do you thinik El Gordo is after the freelance market>
      sorry Diver I'm off the cigs again

Comment

Originally posted by fridge View Post
        Hey man if you want a holiday then pay for it like everyone else does but I dont see how u can put it through your business as a legit business expense unless it is a legit business expense. I get real f****d off with the masses that think they can pay for there private holidays and whatever through their company.Why do you thinik El Gordo is after the freelance market>
        Ar right ar right calm down calm down!

Its already paid for from my personal account. was just wondering what people thought is all.....

Comment

Working...
        X