• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Company Laptop purchase

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Company Laptop purchase

My Co is buying a second-hand laptop from one of our directors. I assume the director won't (and indeed can't) charge VAT so I don't need to record a VAT component in this transaction?

Originally posted by Peoplesoft bloke View Post
    My Co is buying a second-hand laptop from one of our directors. I assume the director won't (and indeed can't) charge VAT so I don't need to record a VAT component in this transaction?

If it's a personal sale [ ie not from a VAT registered entity, then no he can't charge VAT ]
    Cenedl heb iaith, cenedl heb galon

Comment

Originally posted by Bluebird View Post
      If it's a personal sale [ ie not from a VAT registered entity, then no he can't charge VAT ]
      Thanks - thought so, much appreciated.

Comment

Originally posted by Bluebird View Post
        what paper work is needed to show that the "sale" took place ?

Comment

Originally posted by FiveTimes View Post
          what paper work is needed to show that the "sale" took place ?
          I generally give my company a detailed reciept for anything like a laptop that I sell to it. Also worth printing out a few examples from ebay to show you are charging the going market rate for the laptop 2nd hand, and stapling them to the reciept in case you ever get the knock from hector.
          The Mods stole my post count!

Comment

Originally posted by Pickle2 View Post
            I generally give my company a detailed reciept for anything like a laptop that I sell to it. Also worth printing out a few examples from ebay to show you are charging the going market rate for the laptop 2nd hand, and stapling them to the reciept in case you ever get the knock from hector.
            Can i ask, is this okay to do? As I have a 15" Apple Macbook Pro 2.33C2D 2GB that i bought before i set up a company. Now i pretty much use it for work all the time. Especially in the office im in that doesnt let me access googlemail etc.

What is the process? Do i just create a sales receipt and give it over to myself (Director)?

Comment

Yes it is definately OK to do.

A reciept will do fine, but you must sell it to the company for a 'reasonable' 2nd hand price.

If you bought it just before you set your company up, you may still be able to put the purchase through the company and expense the whole value - speak to an accountant.

Comment

Originally posted by Pickle2 View Post
                Thanks BTW Pickle - top tip about eBay sales - that helped me realise that the director was actually asking for a bit too much so we've agreed a lower price.

Comment

Don't forget depreciation on company assets where they are written down in value each year. I think after 3 years any hardware is pretty much worthless, regardless of what mugs are paying on ebay.
                  Feist - 1234. One camera, one take, no editing. Superb. How they did it
                  Feist - I Feel It All
                  Feist - The Bad In Each Other (Later With Jools Holland)

Comment

Working...
                  X