• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Charge VAT on contract software development to Germany?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Charge VAT on contract software development to Germany?

Hi

Quick accounting question, I hope. If I do software development for a firm in Germany (providing them with the source code, not building a service I would host and charge them for), do I charge them VAT on the invoice?

Ta
    Ashley
    Last edited by ashleymoran; 29 January 2008, 16:25.

Originally posted by ashleymoran View Post
    Hi

Quick accounting question, I hope. If I do software development for a firm in Germany (providing them with the source code, building a service I would host and charge them for), do I charge them VAT on the invoice?

Ta
    Ashley
    Search on HMRC, there is info there but it is not entirely clear. Also call your vat helpline.

It is not a simple yes or no. The answer is usually no though.

Comment

Originally posted by ASB View Post
      Search on HMRC, there is info there but it is not entirely clear. Also call your vat helpline.

It is not a simple yes or no. The answer is usually no though.
      Ok thanks, I will try to decipher the HMRC info. Might try my bank when they open the account, signed up for a Co-op clarity account, so might as well put their helpline to good use...

Comment

HMRC vat helpline would be a better bet than your bank.....

In general there is no VAt chargeable on export services (so the develoment effort etc should not be an issue). It's all about the place of supply - which is often not where it is actually supplied there are defualt rules based on the vat status of the supplier and the client.

However, it also seems you are also proposing to be hosting some service or another for them. There are potentially different rules here related specifically to internet type services.

Comment

When I bought my MS action pack, it was from Germany so they charged German VAT and I couldnt claim it back...
          Older and ...well, just older!!

Comment

Some are taking the p1ss..

VAT rules are clear, if you are based in the UK and supply services to Germany, strictly no VAT should be charged. I did come across some Indian monkey suppliers who set up a PO Box address here and charged us VAT. Sent it back unpaid and passed invoice to C & E.

Comment

Originally posted by ratewhore View Post
              When I bought my MS action pack, it was from Germany so they charged German VAT and I couldnt claim it back...
              When I got mine you entered your VAT# and did'nt pay the VAT

Comment

HMRC vat helpline would be a better bet than your bank.....
                Have found HMRC helplines very mixed so far, had one extremely unhelpful guy that put me off calling back. I'll try again though.

In general there is no VAt chargeable on export services (so the develoment effort etc should not be an issue). It's all about the place of supply - which is often not where it is actually supplied there are defualt rules based on the vat status of the supplier and the client.
                I have been on the HMRC site but everything I can find relates to export of goods. You wouldn't happen to know if they have anything about services online, would yo?

However, it also seems you are also proposing to be hosting some service or another for them. There are potentially different rules here related specifically to internet type services.
                Sorry, I was trying to point out what I was NOT doing, to make it more clear Including the word NOT may have made this more clear

Comment

Originally posted by Dow Jones View Post
                  I did come across some Indian monkey suppliers who set up a PO Box address here
                  Were the monkeys for business use only?

Comment

Originally posted by ashleymoran View Post
                    Have found HMRC helplines very mixed so far, had one extremely unhelpful guy that put me off calling back. I'll try again though.
                    Sorry I missed the not

Finding anything on HMRC can be a bit of a nightmare I know.

"vat services place of supply" is a good query.

This is probably the most relevant document:-

http://customs.hmrc.gov.uk/channelsP...yType=document

Section 1.5, 1.6 and 11 are probably the relevant ones. If you are providing intellectual services then the supply of services is the EC member state and they are being provided for business. [no vat]

Otherwise the supply of services is probably in the UK and zero rated - provided you have the vat number of your customer and you have not been informed it is invalid.

Where there is a potential gotcha (and I never got a satisfactory confirmation of this) is in relation to the FRS vat scheme.

Export turnover is included in the total you need to account for vat on in the FRS unless it is outside the scope of UK vat. Hence confirmation can be important - after all you don't want to be paying 13% of the value of services to HMRC when you haven't charged it.

So, no you aren't going to need to charge VAT but be cautious if you are on the FRS scheme because it will be to your disadvantage unless you can agree that the supply is outside the scope of UK vat.

Comment

Working...
                    X