• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Limited company secretary requirement

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Limited company secretary requirement

Hello,

A friend of mine is planning to start a Limited company in UK for IT contracting work. One of the requirement for company formation is that it must have a company secretary. I have following questions regarding the qualification of the person for the company secretary:

1. Does the person have to be UK national/ UK resident ?
    2. Can anybody in UK (e.g. person on student visa/visitor visa) be company secretary ?

I'd appreciate if you could help. Thank you.

A company sectetary is no longer required after April, however I believe anyone can act as secretary untl then.
    "The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance." Cicero

Comment

Originally posted by imleo View Post
      Hello,

A friend of mine is planning to start a Limited company in UK for IT contracting work. One of the requirement for company formation is that it must have a company secretary. I have following questions regarding the qualification of the person for the company secretary:

1. Does the person have to be UK national/ UK resident ?
      2. Can anybody in UK (e.g. person on student visa/visitor visa) be company secretary ?

I'd appreciate if you could help. Thank you.
      1. I don't think that officers of the company need to be UK resident, from memory, I don't think that the registration forms even asked for the nationality of the company secretary (it did for the directors though).

2. Pretty much but I don't think they like children or bankrupts holding these positions.

As previously stated, Company Secretaries are not required for private companies after April this year.

hth

Comment

Also worth noting is that with some banks it can delay setting up a company bank account if your company secretary has not lived in the UK in the last year, as they do extra checks.

Comment

Thank you all for your comments.

Comment

Working...
          X