• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Agency dictating which accountant I use.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Agency dictating which accountant I use.

Hi,

I work through my own limited company and use a firm of accountants. I’ve just accepted a new contract and the agency have asked which firm of accountants I use (never had that before).

Can they stop me using the firm I've always used?

I know with the MSC thing they are a bit worried but I'd rather stick with who I know, rather than use one from their list.

No

It's none of thier business. They are probably going to try and sell you some accountancy services from a partner or some such rubbish.

Comment

Don't go where they are dragging you - they will ultimately try to sell you their "contractor's package" and then you'll discover you are in an umbrella.
      Drivelling in TPD is not a mental health issue. We're just community blogging, that's all.

Xenophon said: "CUK Geek of the Week". A gingerjedi certified "Elitist Tw@t". Posting rated @ 5 lard points

Comment

This is from the HMRC section on MSC's.

Workseekers providing their services through companies

Provided that the Employment Business has not, since 6 April 2007, been directly or indirectly involved in the workseeker obtaining the company, then the Employment Business will not be liable for any PAYE or National Insurance debt under the transfer of debt provision should it subsequently transpire that the workseeker’s company is a Managed Service Company. In practice this situation is most likely to occur where a workseeker who already provides their services through a company approaches an Employment Business.

Where the Employment Business has, since 6 April 2007, been directly or indirectly involved in the workseeker obtaining the company, for example by virtue of referral of the workseeker to a Service Provider (a Preferred Supplier), then the Employment Business might potentially be liable for any PAYE or National Insurance debt under the transfer of debt provision.

So it is clearly nothing to do with the agency and if they know their stuff they would avoid asking the question in the first place.

Provided the agency has not referred you to use any particular accountant then they have nothing to worry about under the MSC legislation.

Alan

Comment

Rule number 2 = nomatter who your accountant is use your own company bank account and you control the chequebook.

Comment

Thanks guys, much appreciated!

I'll tell them to get stuffed if they try and palm me off with some scheme they're promoting.

Comment

Working...
            X