• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Subsistence

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Subsistence

Can the HMRC or someone please put this to bed properly, millions of contractors claim falt rate subsistence with their umbrellas and straplines such as this mean more will continue believing they are find to do so. How and why would HMRC pick up on someone and demand they prove their subsistence claims?

Someone I know is having issues with HMRC over tax codes etc, he is worried they may dig into his expenses which are a little erm dodgy (i.e. subsistence claims of £16-25 a day everyday when he spends little or nothing and has no receipts) yet I firmly believe they won't give a rats arse and pass over it. If the umbrella don't need to put it in your P11D then why would their attention be drawn to it.

I don't claim as I work inthe same workplace everyday and I take a pack lunch but most people claim £9-16 a day and then spend a fiver on a big mac and fries and don't ave a receipt, many if not all believe they either cannot not claim the saubsistence as their umbrella don't have a sliding scale claim system or they simply think free money and continue. Whilst umbrellas are able to sell the idea of dispensations with out receipts and worked it in such a way that people believe they don't need to keep receipts many people will continue claming illegally.

GRRRRRRRRRRRR
    Last edited by Contractor UK; 11 January 2010, 15:17.

yeah, phone them up saying you are reporting tax fraud. I'm sure they'll put you through to someone who can take all the details

Comment

I guess I just don't want to be a grass and one voice is nothing in the general melee of life! I just hate the fact that whilst I'm being honest and I try to convince other people to be I get aggrieved when umbrellas continue to spout crap about claiming expenses without receipts.

Comment

Add to that they say the buck stops with them with the HMRC!
        Last edited by Contractor UK; 7 January 2010, 15:43.

Comment

Originally posted by damo111176 View Post
          I guess I just don't want to be a grass and one voice is nothing in the general melee of life! I just hate the fact that whilst I'm being honest and I try to convince other people to be I get aggrieved when umbrellas continue to spout carp about claiming expenses without receipts.
          The tax fraud line is annoymous.

The reason being HMRC wouldn't catch anyone otherwise.
          "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by damo111176 View Post
            I guess I just don't want to be a grass and one voice is nothing in the general melee of life! I just hate the fact that whilst I'm being honest and I try to convince other people to be I get aggrieved when umbrellas continue to spout carp about claiming expenses without receipts.
            Do it. The more tax they evade the more you and I have to pay.
            ǝןqqıʍ

Comment

You should remember that a dispensation is not for life (or even just for Christmas ). The IR have been looking at our industry for a long time now (IR35, S660, Artic case, MSC legislation etc) and I don't think that will stop. If the IR believe that an umbrella company is abusing a dispensation or scale charge they will withdraw it and they will then have a captive audience of several hundred or even several thousand contractors, many of whom will have been claiming expenses they shouldn't.
              Connect with me on LinkedIn

Follow us on Twitter.

ContractorUK Best Forum Advisor 2015

Comment

Working...
              X