• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Pay myself nothing for a year?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pay myself nothing for a year?

Say I have enough in the bank to pay all my outgoings for 12 months... what's stopping me taking no salary (ok maybe min wage) and no divs that year, then winding up the company at the end of the year and taking all the money as a capital gain?

Is this worth doing? Any problems with it?
    Don't ask Beaker. He's just another muppet.

Why would you want to pay an extra 18% CGT on money you can take out as dividends tax free??
    It's about time I changed this sig...

Comment

Originally posted by beaker View Post
      Say I have enough in the bank to pay all my outgoings for 12 months... what's stopping me taking no salary (ok maybe min wage) and no divs that year, then winding up the company at the end of the year and taking all the money as a capital gain?

Is this worth doing? Any problems with it?
      Yes. The law changed. From April you pay a lot more tax if you do this. But to qualify the company must have been running for 2 years before you can do this so the coy must have been open for 2 years at April.

Comment

Damn...
        Don't ask Beaker. He's just another muppet.

Comment

try the "ask beaker" thread.

HTH

Comment

Working...
          X