• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Trading with your SIPP

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Trading with your SIPP

Do any of you guys have a SIPP pension and actively use it as a vehicle to trade stocks etc?

Thanks

Originally posted by MickyG View Post
    Do any of you guys have a SIPP pension and actively use it as a vehicle to trade stocks etc?

Thanks
    I use Hargreaves Lansdown for my SIPP.

I don't use it very actively apart from a handful of times a year where I might do a few fund switches etc.

I'm pretty sure you can use it to trade stocks as well if you want. Not sure on the charges although HL are normally quite competitive.

Comment

Originally posted by minstrel View Post
      I use Hargreaves Lansdown for my SIPP.

I don't use it very actively apart from a handful of times a year where I might do a few fund switches etc.

I'm pretty sure you can use it to trade stocks as well if you want. Not sure on the charges although HL are normally quite competitive.
      Indeed you can. Where H-L excels in charges are Funds: the initial charge is much reduced and for many funds is zero. This lets you trade more often without penalty except of course your own bad decisions.

For shares it is not the cheapest though it's not bad. Selftrade is better, and (if that's what you're after) lets you buy iShares with no buying fee (selling fee still applies when you sell), and of course iShares have no stamp duty either.

Comment

I've just moved pension funds from Legal & General Stakeholder to Sippdeal.

In the long-term I'll move back - if you are happy to invest in their in-house funds, they are cheap. (They were charging me 0.7% on the first 25K, 0.5% on the next 25K and 0.3% on the rest. I don't know anywhere else you can invest in a property fund for only 0.3%.)

I moved to SIPPDEAL because I'm temporarily favouring property investment trusts over unitised property funds as a home for most of my pension. Sippdeal can match/beat L&G for share and bond funds, if you use ETFs, but the only access to unitised property funds is via Unit Trusts/OEICS, which are hideously expensive.

I intend to trade (buy) once a quarter.

Comment

Working...
        X