• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Receipts

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sockpuppet View Post
    OK, but receipts for brekkie, lunch and a mysterious third meal may be a bit much.
    Oh Lawd!!! let me explain it gently... I go to tesco (or supermarket) in the morning or near lunch time I buy food for breakfast/lunch and dinner and some snacks too , have a receipt of food for £20-£25 or so... Tax man has one receipt of food, I have 3 meals and a couple of snacks everyone's happy.

Comment

Its also generally agreed that you cannot just buy "food" and charge it as an expense and is safer to claim meals from a restaurant etc.

How can you separate this from your normal shop. I doubt many accountant would allow this and would expect you would have a damn hard time proving that is was "wholly incurred in the course of business".

* Just to keep malvolio happy: you can claim for what you like but expect to pay NIC on it if your are investigated and its not allowed.

Comment

Its also generally agreed that you cannot just buy "food" and charge it as an expense and is safer to claim meals from a restaurant etc.

How can you separate this from your normal shop. I doubt many accountant would allow this and would expect you would have a damn hard time proving that is was "wholly incurred in the course of business".

* Just to keep malvolio happy: you can claim for what you like but expect to pay NIC on it if your are investigated and its not allowed.

Am talking about having this food while working away from home, you can't expect someone to eat in a restaurant every single day.. anyway I have several food intolerances, so have to buy unprocessed food and need to read all ingredients in all food items before eating it to ensure I don't get ill.

Comment

Originally posted by SandyDown View Post
          Am talking about having this food while working away from home, you can't expect someone to eat in a restaurant every single day.. anyway I have several food intolerances, so have to buy unprocessed food and need to read all ingredients in all food items before eating it to ensure I don't get ill.
          Tell it to the judge

Seriously I would get this cleared with the Tax office instead of just claiming it. It has been general consensus that this must be proved.

Buying a sandwich, can of coke and bag of crisps probably won't get questioned.

Some rice, uncle bens, popadom etc will.

Also could look suspect if you are claiming rent for anywhere as if you are in a hotel you have no place to prepare the food however if you are renting a full on house at your contract they may take the view you can do whatever it is you do at home.

Comment

SandyDown,

Assuming you pass the allowable test (an argument you will have in any circumstances in an investigation) the second thing you need to establish is that you actually spent the momey. Common way of evidencing is generally a receipt.

From first hand experience if you have a reasonable quantity of receipts for what you are claiming, can establish a pattern and perhaps have some credit card slips etc this will tend to give HMIT a reasonable feeling that you have indeed spent the money.

Some years ago I was living in one of my other houses whilst working away - it was close to the client. Charging rent, bills, most of the council tax. For food etc I'd sometime eat out, but stuff in supermrkets etc. Had some receipts, obviously sometimes mixed. It was part of my last investigation and the inspector had no problems with it. Whether you would be as lucky remains to be seen.

If your inspector is going to push hard to disallow things the fact that you are short a few receipts won't have much bearing.

Comment

Also could look suspect if you are claiming rent for anywhere as if you are in a hotel you have no place to prepare the food however if you are renting a full on house at your contract they may take the view you can do whatever it is you do at home.
              Does that mean I can claim expenses if I stay in a hotel but not if I rent a house? This is very confusing. :-(

Comment

Working...
              X