• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

going over the normal dividend tax barrier

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

going over the normal dividend tax barrier

I've so far kept my salary & dividends to a small amount but I now have surplus cash in the company account that I want to get my hands on. I understand that I can take the rest as a futher dividend but this would mean paying an additional 25% tax as it will take me over the normal tax threshold.

This additional 25% tax - is it classed as further corp tax or as PAYE? Also when/how is it paid, do I just leave the 25% in the comp account and pay it when the bill comes through?

Originally posted by stacks View Post
    I've so far kept my salary & dividends to a small amount but I now have surplus cash in the company account that I want to get my hands on. I understand that I can take the rest as a futher dividend but this would mean paying an additional 25% tax as it will take me over the normal tax threshold.

This additional 25% tax - is it classed as further corp tax or as PAYE? Also when/how is it paid, do I just leave the 25% in the comp account and pay it when the bill comes through?
    It's neither PAYE nor corporation tax - you pay it, not the company. You need to declare it on your tax return and pay tax on it that way.
    Best Forum Advisor 2014
    Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
    Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

So I pay myself the whole amount as a dividend and then pay 25% of it from my personal account when the personal tax return is due?

Comment

Yep

Comment

So you don't have to pay until Jan 2009. If you can hold on until April, you won't have to pay until Jan 2010, and it means if things go tits-up for you next year and you don't earn enough, you won't have to pay any tax on that surplus. That's what I'm doing anyway.
          Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by stacks View Post
            So I pay myself the whole amount as a dividend and then pay 25% of it from my personal account when the personal tax return is due?
            i think you only pay the additional 25% on dividends above the threshhold though, so anything above 39K attracts the additional 25%.

Comment

Originally posted by hgllgh View Post
              i think you only pay the additional 25% on dividends above the threshhold though, so anything above 39K attracts the additional 25%.
              Its 32.5%...

Comment

With a 10% tax credit cause it's a dividend......

Comment

Just to clarify, tax on dividends is 10% up to the top of the standard tax band and 32.5% after that.

You're dividend comes with a 10% tax credit that satisfies anything below the higher rate threshold. Above the higher rate threshold you then have to pay 32.5% of the GROSS dividend (i.e. the dividend plus the 10% tax credit). The 10% tax credit reduces this to 22.5%. This 22.5% is the same as 25% of the NET dividend.

So if you pay a dividend of £9,000 then this equates to a GROSS dividend of £10,000 with a Tax Credit of £1,000.

The 10% tax credit satisfies the basic rate tax.

If you are already above the higher rate threshold before receiving this dividend then you owe higher rate tax. If you calculate 32.5% of £10,000 you get £3,250 that you owe. You can subtract the tax credit from this so that means you actually owe £3,250 - £1,000 = £2,250 tax owed.

You can get to this figure much more easily by just taking 25% of the original £9,000 NET dividend you actually paid out. 25% of £9,000 is £2,250.

Comment

What is the exact value of the higher rate threshold where you have to pay the extra on divis?

I know the 40% income tax band starts at income over £34600, but do you add the £5225 personal allowance onto this?

So if my ltd pays me a salary of £11k, how much can I take in divi's a year without attracting extra tax?

£34600 + £5225 - £11000 = £28825?

Or is it 90% of £28825 because of the reasons Hex was talking about - making it £25924
                    It's about time I changed this sig...

Comment

Working...
                    X