• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Quickest business bank account to setup?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quickest business bank account to setup?

I have had a nightmare trying to setup an account with Alliance & Leicester. It has now taken 7 weeks. They made me apply 3 times now! First internet, then phone, then paper-based application. All because my company secretary had lived in France for a year.

Now the muppets say they cant read the scans (which they made) of the certified documents I sent it, and want them sent in again. Even though I sent in the original bills in as well as the certified photocopies. Which means I have to go through the whole certification process again.

Was attracted by the high interest on their accounts, but I'm loosing faith in this banks staff basic competence.

Can someone recommend me a bank which is quick to set up? I cant get paid until I have a bank account set up and really need this done before Christmas. Ideally one which doesn't required certified documents, just photocopies, as this will speed things up.

Cheers,
    EF

I don't know how quick they are, but Cater Allen accept photocopies for Passport / Driving Licence etc.

Comment

If you have your actual articles, passport and recent utility bill then make an appointment with a HSBC branch. You should go into the actual branch to make the appointment. Mine took 2 hours to set up i.e. hour one make appointment and come back in hour two to set up the accounts.

BTW all banks/building societies require certified passport/driving license copies its to do with those damn money laundering regulations. You need to have/make friends with doctors and lawyers as they are useful for this purpose.
      "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

I had a similar thing with HSBC, they said I hadn't sent the correct documentation 3 times as they had no proof of address for me(even though I had sent them 3 credit card statements) eventually the penny dropped when they kept telling me they had "extra" bank statements I asked them to read what it sad at the top of one of the extra bank statements......there was a long silence before she admitted they were credit card statements, my account was open within the hour then, I wouldn't mind but all my personal accounts are with the Frigging HSBC as well, so all they had to do was look up my account details!
        Some people are like slinkys, totally pointless but the thought of pushing them down a flight of stairs never fails to put a smile on your face.

Comment

Originally posted by electronicfur View Post
          I have had a nightmare trying to setup an account with Alliance & Leicester. It has now taken 7 weeks. They made me apply 3 times now! First internet, then phone, then paper-based application. All because my company secretary had lived in France for a year.

Now the muppets say they cant read the scans (which they made) of the certified documents I sent it, and want them sent in again. Even though I sent in the original bills in as well as the certified photocopies. Which means I have to go through the whole certification process again.

Was attracted by the high interest on their accounts, but I'm loosing faith in this banks staff basic competence.

Can someone recommend me a bank which is quick to set up? I cant get paid until I have a bank account set up and really need this done before Christmas. Ideally one which doesn't required certified documents, just photocopies, as this will speed things up.

Cheers,
          EF
          Natwest

I applied for a savings and a current account friday 30th Nov
          Cheque book etc turned up yesterday.
          Application by phone.
          Forms arrived on the monday. account already opened.
          Confusion is a natural state of being

Comment

Originally posted by shelby68 View Post
            I had a similar thing with HSBC, they said I hadn't sent the correct documentation 3 times as they had no proof of address for me(even though I had sent them 3 credit card statements) eventually the penny dropped when they kept telling me they had "extra" bank statements I asked them to read what it sad at the top of one of the extra bank statements......there was a long silence before she admitted they were credit card statements, my account was open within the hour then, I wouldn't mind but all my personal accounts are with the Frigging HSBC as well, so all they had to do was look up my account details!

Noticed I said go into a branch.

Someone else I know had the same issues with business accounts for Abbey and HSBC. I've also had issues setting up a Coventry Personal Account through the post. So I get the impression that bank staff who set up accounts by post/telephone/internet are damn thick.

Comment

If you can get into a branch thats normally you're best bet. Be prepared and take everything they will need: Cert of Inc., 2 forms of ID etc. Co Sec and Director need to sign the account application so if its possible drag the Sec along with you.

Maybe your accountant has a bank contact that can help get things moving along: We have bank applications (RBS only) in our office and when a client comes in needing a bank account we get the forms completed, ID etc copied and we take the necessary to our bank guy. He then opens the account same or next day. I think we might have a special arrangement becuase we do a lot of business with them, though.

Comment

HSBC good for me

I went into the branch to set up my business account - the longest delay was waiting for the appointment, 1 week I think.
                but totally smoothly (and friendly) from there - was done within 1.5 hrs, and found my account online I think the next day, maybe 2 days later. including commercial credit card and 18 months fee-free banking.
                but possibly my set-up was so quick, because I´m already private Premier customer..

only don´t go into unagreed overdraft - even 1 day for small amounts can cost you dearly..http://forums.contractoruk.com/image...as/suicide.gif

good luck!

Comment

Originally posted by brightfuture View Post
                  but possibly my set-up was so quick, because I´m already private Premier customer..
                  Nothing to do with it.

My personal banking is done elsewhere and my account was set up in 2 hours.

Comment

I had a nightmare with A&L too, eventually an account got opened but I've never used it (must get round to closing it really).

I opened an account with Abbey, took about two weeks, that might have been because I am a personal customer too.

Comment

Working...
                    X