• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

buying second hand kit - vat question

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

buying second hand kit - vat question

Probably one for my accountant really - but thought it might be a general interest question...

My company is about to buy some second hand computer hardware from a private individual. Am I correct in my assumption that all the company needs is to get the seller to generate an invoice for the goods and that there is no vat as 1) it's a private sale and 2) the goods are second hand?
    Do what thou wilt

he just has to put on the invoice

'not VAT registered'

Thats what I do when I invoice people for my time.

Comment

Originally posted by Dark Black View Post
      Probably one for my accountant really - but thought it might be a general interest question...

My company is about to buy some second hand computer hardware from a private individual. Am I correct in my assumption that all the company needs is to get the seller to generate an invoice for the goods and that there is no vat as 1) it's a private sale and 2) the goods are second hand?
      Yes. Next.
      Best Forum Advisor 2014
      Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
      Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
        Yes. Next.
        Actually it's only yes to Q1,

there can be VAT on second hand goods depending upon the status of the seller

tim

Comment

I bought a second hand laptop off ebay, but the seller was a VAT registered company. He gave me a proper invoice when I asked, and I claimed back the VAT.

So even on Fleabay it's worth checking.
          Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Working...
          X