• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

given a lift by a permie to a site

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by beeker View Post
    That makes sense, charging rate for travel time - do you charge for mileage too? or do you accept that is within your rate?

I'm taking on board some good pointers here, i'm just about to (hopefully) renew my first contract!
    Yep, claim the expenses for mileage from my own Ltd, charge the client for travel time only.

However, I did agree this with the client before the first time they asked me to visit a site.

Comment

Its not clear how much extra travelling is actually incurred by going to the permie.

if your journey would otherwise be 200 miles, then I think they have made a reasonable request. If your journey would otherwsise be 100 miles then tellthem to stuff it.

How far are you actually going out of the way by this route?

Comment

Originally posted by robnjc View Post
        Its not clear how much extra travelling is actually incurred by going to the permie.

if your journey would otherwise be 200 miles, then I think they have made a reasonable request. If your journey would otherwsise be 100 miles then tellthem to stuff it.

How far are you actually going out of the way by this route?
        They accepted the fact that going with a permie in a "pool car" may raise some insurance / IR35 eyebrows. Pool car as a staff benefit etc. Plus it is restricting if I need to be on site for a couple of days but permie doesn't.

Created additional day rate for working at this specific site inclusive of expenses meaning no reciepts for lunch/dinner/accomodation and inclusive of travel time.

Everyone's a winner...! assuming it gets signed off!

Journey would be 250 direct or 80 to permies. (return)

Comment

Originally posted by beeker View Post
          They accepted the fact that going with a permie in a "pool car" may raise some insurance / IR35 eyebrows. Pool car as a staff benefit etc. Plus it is restricting if I need to be on site for a couple of days but permie doesn't.

Created additional day rate for working at this specific site inclusive of expenses meaning no reciepts for lunch/dinner/accomodation and inclusive of travel time.

Everyone's a winner...! assuming it gets signed off!

Journey would be 250 direct or 80 to permies. (return)
          Well done - here's hoping that they sign it off.
          Best Forum Advisor 2014
          Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
          Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

"Forced" doesn't sound good, but otherwise I don't see a big problem.

I'd charge for the time. I'm doing it tomorrow: I'm going to a different site that's closer to home for a meeting, then going to my normal site. I figure the time I arrive at the first site is the start of my day, and I'll count driving inbetween as also part of the day (but won't charge the client for any travelling expenses).
            Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Working...
            X