• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Contracting in Germany

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Contracting in Germany

Does anyone have any current experience of these companies, which in the past have offered off-shore trust arrangements to consultants working in Germany. The scheme involved payments fully declared to the German taxman and other payments held in the trust, accessible either as loans or held until a later date when the balance could be extracted. The idea is to move from Germany to another more favourable tax location before extracting the balance of the trust fund. Should I consider this arrangement?
    Last edited by Contractor UK; 13 February 2009, 12:26.

Management firms were suggested to me a few years back by 2 different agencies in Germany, but I never made the move.

I am now considering a contract in Germany, without an agent, but have not managed to find much information.

Does anyone have any experience of working through management firms in Germany? How legal is the whole configuration? What gaurantees are there that the trust money becomes yours?
    Last edited by Contractor UK; 13 February 2009, 12:26. Reason: Potentially libellous content removed.

Comment

Almost Swiftian in its rapier like subtlety
      Connect with me on LinkedIn

Follow us on Twitter.

ContractorUK Best Forum Advisor 2015

Comment

Originally posted by LisaContractorUmbrella View Post

I know what you mean when using that term, but why does it mean that?

(please)

tim

Comment

IME all of the overseas management companies that offer reasonable returns operate in the way that you have suggested.

And wrt Germany, I have been told that the Finanzamp have recently had a round up of people operating through dodgy schemes and assessed them for tax on the gross billings, though I have no idea of the details.

tim
          Last edited by Contractor UK; 29 January 2009, 12:11.

Comment

Originally posted by tim123 View Post
            I know what you mean when using that term, but why does it mean that?

(please)

tim
            Afraid I was being a might sarcastic Swift was a poet known for subtlety, I believe a rapier is a type of sword. The actual quote comes from Red Dwarf
            Connect with me on LinkedIn

Follow us on Twitter.

ContractorUK Best Forum Advisor 2015

Comment

Originally posted by LisaContractorUmbrella View Post
              Far too aruldite for round here, shirley?
              Best Forum Advisor 2014
              Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
              Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
                Perhaps it should be a "sticky".

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post

erudite

Comment

Originally posted by dr4m
                    I've also heard something about this Finanzamp disclosure.
                    I'm really interested in this matter, so if you guys know anything pls share your knowledge here.

Do you exactly know what consequences are for us, for overseas consultants in such an event? Might we end up in jail for instance?
                    No, not unless you've fiddled a couple of hundred million. You'll recall (or perhaps you won't) that Boris Becker got 2 years probation for evading 2 million. At the time, this amazed everybody by it's leniency, but it was stated as being the normal punishment for the level of the offence.

So, if they think you've fiddled 20K, they send you the bill and you either pay it or leave the country never to return. Currently tax demands are not internationally enforceable, but I think that steps are being discussed to end that.

tim
                    Last edited by tim123; 7 April 2008, 08:42.

Comment

Working...
                    X