• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Expenses

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by fadanoid View Post
    Freakin A.

yes.
    Cenedl heb iaith, cenedl heb galon

Comment

I tell you what some contractors make me sick..

I have just had a guy buy an A3 flatbed scanner for working on a helpdesk, he has just had his boss sign off a letter stating he needs it to send off his invoices and timesheets to his umbrella company...

CAn someone just tell me if the taxman questions it will he take that letter and say oh ok or will he likely still sting the bloke for the expense, the only thing that letter has done had told the umbrella that he can claim it but will not resy properly with the taxman??

I am surrounded by cowboy contractors who are trying to rip anyhting out of expenses they can, unreceipted subsistence, laptops, printers, scanners etc whilst working through an umbrella not their own limited company.

Comment

Technically, the scanner is an asset of the umbrella company, since they are just an employee.

So there would be a BIK to pay on it, surely - plus the umbrella could demand it back at any point, as it's their property. You might want to drop that into conversation and see the reaction when they realise that they could have just paid for something that someone else can demand back at any time...
        Best Forum Advisor 2014
        Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
        Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Like with many things, the umbrella won't, the BIK won't be paid and they guy will have just pocketed £300 plus more income by defrauding the system

Comment

If there was an investigation, then they would be screwed, since it would be disallowed as an expense.

The question is really how likely are they to get caught? I'm thinking pretty unlikely, but there's always that chance that they might get picked on / informed on, and then they would be in trouble.

The umbrella company will wash their hands of them, and it's down to the individual to sort out how much they need to pay back / how big a reaming they would like.
            Best Forum Advisor 2014
            Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
            Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Working...
            X