• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

go green - cheap bmw with 100% capital allowance?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by adder View Post

Hiram, remember u can still claim 13p/10p a mile in a company car for petrol/diesel.....
    Would be interested in an accountant giving a defo answer to this question though...
    ACCOUNTANTS where are u!!???

Yeah sure but if a pickup only does 25mpg, I'd be better off doing miles in a private car at 40p per mile. Hence the question: If I had a company pickup for when I needed it, would I be expected by HMRC to do all business miles in that or could I use a private car (40mpg, and greener) and still claim the 40p?

Comment

Dude, I appreciate your effort with the figures but this is nowhere near methinks....
      Look, MYCO has £20K
      option a - buy the bimmer
      option b - take the £12k cash, buy the passat taxi, buy breakdown cover, buy an iphone (to phone the AA), buy booze, new clothes and a few loose women (cos we can't pull them in a passat)....
      Now over 3 years we each do 10k miles, you make £3k/year (diff between 40p and 10p/mile)
      Yes I have a BIK to pay but that is offset by your insurance costs, servicing, higher fuel consumption etc etc
      You 'make' £9k over 3 years but your taxi is only worth £3k at this stage and the bimmer is worth £12k, a difference of £9k!!! wey hey!!! U convinced yet?
      I'll give you the fuel consumption, but the insurance costs is the same, the VW cheaper to service (because older and not a BMW), and my costs were based on selling BMW at 5 years, which leaves you with nothing, whereas you'd still have an 8-year-old Passat.

Anyway, as I said, it is clearly cheaper to buy a <120g CO2 car through your company than personally. BUT, that assumes (a) that you want a small car, and (b) that you want a new car. A used <120g CO2 car will still work out cheaper.

So yes, if you want a <120g CO2 car buy it through the company.

Comment

Originally posted by dude69 View Post
        I'll give you the fuel consumption, but the insurance costs is the same, the VW cheaper to service (because older and not a BMW), and my costs were based on selling BMW at 5 years, which leaves you with nothing, whereas you'd still have an 8-year-old Passat.

Anyway, as I said, it is clearly cheaper to buy a <120g CO2 car through your company than personally. BUT, that assumes (a) that you want a small car, and (b) that you want a new car. A used <120g CO2 car will still work out cheaper.

So yes, if you want a <120g CO2 car buy it through the company.
        Dude you seem well clued up on the car thing.

Is there any advantage in doing a "lease" through the business ?

The way I look at it is that if I lease a car and My Ltd co pays for it - then @ say £300 I pay £3600 which is £3600 I don't pay CT on - net gain = £720.

I don't pay any maintenance, or cartax etc [ I think ], I can still claim petrol money [ ? ] and my asset doesn't depreciate [ as I haven't got one ].

If I only needed a car for say 12 months before I decide what to buy with all the rest of my money - is this a better option that buying a used car with my personal [taxed ] income ?
        Cenedl heb iaith, cenedl heb galon

Comment

Originally posted by Bluebird View Post
          Dude you seem well clued up on the car thing.

Is there any advantage in doing a "lease" through the business ?

The way I look at it is that if I lease a car and My Ltd co pays for it - then @ say £300 I pay £3600 which is £3600 I don't pay CT on - net gain = £720.
          No there would be no sense in doing that on a low CO2 car. The point of a lease is that it's an expense, and hence chargeable to CT, whereas a capital purchase has to be claimed over several years. But with a 100% first year allowance on these cars, there's no sense form that point of view in doing it.

The only way it makes sense is purely on a hassle/TCO equation. I.e. does costs of lease come to less than the cost of 3 years' depreciation? Generally the answer should be no, as they obviously need to make a profit, but they can get better discounts than you. I would say that £300/month over 3 years is £10,800, which seems quite a lot really.

If you do it on an outright purchase basically just consider the purchase price - value @ Year 3 (or whenver you want to sell), as this will effectively be the amount relieved (minus 3 years' interest on the difference.

If I only needed a car for say 12 months before I decide what to buy with all the rest of my money - is this a better option that buying a used car with my personal [taxed ] income ?
          Used cars are very cheap, you can get a very serviceable motor for a few hundred pounds. This will beat any tax savings on a £15k+ car.

Comment

Anyway, mucho respect if u do it FiveTimes a night
            We've won it Five Times, we've won it Five Times, in Istanbul we won it Five Times.

Comment

Originally posted by Hiram King Of Tyre View Post
              If you have a company car (Or van/pickup), does that preclude you from still using a private car and claiming 40p/25p?
              Good news Hiram!
              HMRC hotline says you can still use a private car for business use, even if you've got a company car. (she says obviously you'll still be paying tax on the company motor - yeah, yeah)

Comment

Good news Hiram!
                HMRC hotline says you can still use a private car for business use, even if you've got a company car. (she says obviously you'll still be paying tax on the company motor - yeah, yeah)

That's cool..... Tax on a pickup is cheap though.

Is that documented anywhere? I need something to quote as the accountant sees it different...

Comment

Originally posted by Hiram King Of Tyre View Post
                  That's cool..... Tax on a pickup is cheap though.

Is that documented anywhere? I need something to quote as the accountant sees it different...
                  sorry didn't ask - give them a ring on 0845 714 3143
                  what's your accountant saying?
                  PS what pickup u looking at? aren't they sh!te to drive!?

Comment

Probably the Navara. It appears to be the best of the bunch. At the moment I use a privately owned motorhome. I claim the 40p per mile plus site fees gas etc. I use it as both a temporary office and hotel. The trouble is that I take all the wear & tear without getting anything back. I was thinking about the company buying a caravan and a pickup. The tax on the pickup is low. However, once the caravan is sited, I don't need to drive around in a gas guzzler. It would be much greener to use my private car (and claim 40/25p) when the "business need" isn't there.....

Comment

Working...
                    X