• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Considering an Umbrella Scheme?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Considering an Umbrella Scheme?

If you are considering an umbrella scheme/tax avoidance scheme of any sort, please do your homework/due dilligence first and also ensure you get Tax Investigation Insurance before it is too late. Dont be blinded by the ££££s.

I have just had a letter from the HMRC stating that they will be looking into my income from an Umbrella Scheme as detailed in my tax return of last year.

Lordf

Did you do anything that you shouldn't have done?

Are the umbrella company giving you any advice / guidance on this? I'd expect that they should, but maybe with a bit of slopey-shoulders if things get sticky.
    Best Forum Advisor 2014
    Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
    Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
      Did you do anything that you shouldn't have done?

Are the umbrella company giving you any advice / guidance on this? I'd expect that they should, but maybe with a bit of slopey-shoulders if things get sticky.
      No - nothing I should not have done.

They have had the letter for 1 working day and no response as yet. Spoke with them yesterday and they said send us the letter and we will look into it. Its worth their while to help, as it is their scheme that is being looked into, not just me and my tax return.
      Last edited by LordF; 2 October 2007, 16:13.

Comment

Originally posted by LordF View Post
        Its worth their while to help, as it is their scheme that is being looked into, not just me and my tax return.
        Unfortunately, they can always shift all the blame onto you - it's nothing to do with them, really, since you are just an employee.

Best of luck with it, though.
        Best Forum Advisor 2014
        Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
        Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

IMO nobody should get involved in an umbrella scheme if they can avoid it. Get your on ltd co and a decent accountant who knows the contractor market and you're laughing.

Comment

correct advice.
            Cenedl heb iaith, cenedl heb galon

Comment

Working...
            X