• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Another IR35 Question

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another IR35 Question

Hello,

I have been working for a client for 24 months now.

During the first 9 months I was operating through an umbrella company
    on PAYE basis.

I then changed to an MSC on a Ltd Company basis, which this then changed following the legislation amendments in April of this year and I began operating through my own Ltd Company.

I am now been offered a futher 3 month extension.

How does this all fit in with IR35, any suggestions or advice?

Thanks

Your IR35 status depends upon the contract and your working practices, if you have so far been outside of IR35 then that should remian so.

However now you are over 24 months, you can no longer claim that this is a temporary place of work and you can't claim milage etc.

Have you ever had your contract reviewed ?
    Cenedl heb iaith, cenedl heb galon

Comment

Originally posted by Bluebird View Post
      Your IR35 status depends upon the contract and your working practices, if you have so far been outside of IR35 then that should remian so.

However now you are over 24 months, you can no longer claim that this is a temporary place of work and you can't claim milage etc.

Have you ever had your contract reviewed ?
      I had been led to believe that once a contract goes over 2 years then you can be deemed a permie and are then caught by IR35.

Is this incorrect then? The only differences are what you can claim?

Comment

Ir35

Hello Bluebird,

Thanks for the reply.

I will look into my contract being reviewed and will certainly build more outside IR35 aspects into future contracts.

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by MikeC1408 View Post
          I had been led to believe that once a contract goes over 2 years then you can be deemed a permie and are then caught by IR35.

Who is it that's doing all the leading to believe? This seems to be a popular bit of misinformation.
          Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Yep, that is totally incorrect and an all too common myth. The length of time at one client isn't anywhere near as important as people assume - if you have a commercially beneficial arrangement with a particular client nobody can expect you to terminate simply to satisfy HMRC.

The important factor to consider when you have reached 2 years is the 24 month rule, regarding expenses you can claim traveling to a client site.
            Qdos Contractor - IR35 experts

Comment

Completely wrong - one recent successful defence that the PCG helped was for someone who had been with one customer for 7 years.

Once you know that the contract is going to be more than 24 months, then you can't claim travel expenses. Note - as soon as you know that you will be there for more than 24 months you must stop; not once you go over that limit.
              Best Forum Advisor 2014
              Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
              Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by Qdos Consulting View Post
                Yep, that is totally incorrect and an all too common myth. The length of time at one client isn't anywhere near as important as people assume - if you have a commercially beneficial arrangement with a particular client nobody can expect you to terminate simply to satisfy HMRC.

The important factor to consider when you have reached 2 years is the 24 month rule, regarding expenses you can claim traveling to a client site.
                Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
                Completely wrong - one recent successful defence that the PCG helped was for someone who had been with one customer for 7 years.

Once you know that the contract is going to be more than 24 months, then you can't claim travel expenses. Note - as soon as you know that you will be there for more than 24 months you must stop; not once you go over that limit.
                Thanks for clearing that up guys, only at the 'going to be there 9 months stage' at the moment but it's good to know the facts.

Comment

Working...
                X