• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Cycle mileage expenses.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cycle mileage expenses.

Unless I'm mistaken, (and that is quite possible!!) This would seem to be an exception to the rule that you can only claim expenses that you have actually spent? Obviously there are costs involved in running a cycle, but there is no point-of-use cost on a per-mile basis as there is with a car for example.

How does one 'prove' this expense... Would you think that keeping a log of journeys undertaken would be sufficient to satisfy an inspector? Should receipts for the costs of keeping/maintaining the bike (which is used primarily for commuting for business) such as tyres/lubricants/servicing be kept?

Thanks in advance for your opinions...

Bike expenses

Last time I was investigated, the tax inspector came down really hard on this. He was checking the tread, asking to see my bike pump etc. I had to settle for a 50p penalty in the end after hours of negotiation.

Comment

I believe HMRC was recently given powers to assess bicycle use by sniffing the saddle.

Comment

they know you have to get to work some how! my advice would be to have a route planner on hand with the postcode from home to work so you can prove you are claiming the right amount of mileage, all your signed timesheets so you can prove you worked that day. and just make sure you keep any receipts for maintenance.

Comment

You should take photos of yourself dressed in lycra at your client's office. Preferably holding a bicycle pump.
          Cats are evil.

Comment

Surely there is a cost beyond the tires, oil, lights, etc.

You are physically powering the device, so therefore it is your time and energy. So why can't you bill a rate (pro-rata) of your daily fee ? After all, you are the one suffering wear and tear.

Also, there is danger money, because no one likes bike riders and the chance of getting thumped by a car or lorry driver is higher than normal.

HTH
            Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C.S. Lewis

Comment

you could also show mr tax man your rock hard thighs

Comment

Ok I get the gist...!

One wiff of my saddle and I'd be done for manslaughter of her majesty's inspector!

I shall keep the oil handy for when they want to see my thighs.

Also the maintenance receipts, I'll show them those too.

Thanks.

Comment

By cycling to work you are improving your fitness...the opposite to wear and tear...unless you are really crap and keep on falling off...so really you should be paying HMRC for the priviledge of getting fit...when I was investigated for a similar abuse they put me on a static bike in a gym and made me do a Conconi test. Luckily I had a litre of vodka 30 minutes earlier so was able to persuade them that I really wasn't fit for anything at all.

Comment

I did used to cycle to a previous gig - 11 miles each way - but they had on site showers.

and now it seems you can claim 20p per mile for cycling - or get a tax free company cycle - youth of today never had it so good.

Comment

Working...
                    X