• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Leaving my Accountant - Help!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Leaving my Accountant - Help!

Hello, I wonder if someone could please provide me with some advice...

I am the sole director of a limited company which has successfully traded for several years.

Recently, I have been very unhappy with some of the fees my accountants have charged me and so I have written to them attempting to terminate my use of their services.

My accounting skills are pretty good and as I am a small company can submit abbreviated accounts, for which I understand an accountant's advice is not mandatory.

My accountant has taken badly to me leaving and has written to say that they will only terminate service if I provide them with details of my new accountants.

As director, I intend to submit and sign off my own accounts from now on, NOT use another firm of accountant, but my accountant challenges this saying it's not possible - although I believe they are wrong and this is only a tactic designed to get me to stay with them.

I really wish to leave my accountants and do my own accounts from now on, saving myself both money and hassle. Would anyone know what I need to say in my final letter to my accountants in order to get them to accept this and pass on all current paperwork to myself?

I would be really grateful for a reply as I feel my accountants are not only overcharging me but also being very unfair, and I really need to move on from them.

Many thanks in advance ...

There is absolutely no reason why your current accountants need to know who any future accountants will (or won't) be, basically it's none of their business..

If you're confident that you know what you're doing you can complete all your own accounts and submit them yourself.

Ask your current accountants to highlight the clause in your agreement with them that insists they are required to be informed of who is replacing them prior to terminating any agreement. Then stop paying them, they'll be keen enough to stop doing work for you then.
    Proud owner of +5 Xeno Geek Points

Comment

Accountant

If you send him a letter advising that you no longer require his services and request copies of the last tax computations and returns submitted for yourself & the company he is obliged to comply with your instructions....you are the client!

Comment

Thank you very much for the quick responses guys. I will certainly recommend this site.

I have composed the letter as suggested, I still think though that they will try to say something along the lines of "professional clearance is required", even though there is no mention of termination procedure in our original agreement.

Are you certain that "professional clearance" is just BS?

Thanks again

Comment

Again, name & shame...

We shouldn't have to put up with shoddy dealings so let's out these people...

I'm not picking on accountants. Any shoddy service should be brought to everyones attention if it's not being handled appropriately..

Comment

*bump*

Comment

Working...
            X