• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Pension

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by glashIFA@Paramount View Post
    If people are taking advice on what they can contribute and how they can contribute then there's no need to add "probably". The rules for "relevant" contribs are quite clear.
    I'm not quite sure what the point is that you are trying to make. I am simply saying that a company will not necessarily get corporation tax relief if it makes a pension contribution of £225K.

Originally posted by glashIFA@Paramount View Post
    Carry back of contributions is no longer allowed so this scenario couldn't happen.
    I was talking about carrying back the loss for corporation tax purposes.

Comment

[QUOTE=THEPUMA;290615]I'm not quite sure what the point is that you are trying to make. I am simply saying that a company will not necessarily get corporation tax relief if it makes a pension contribution of £225K.

Not trying to make any point - all i said was that £225K was the maximum annual allowance for tax relief - which it is.

Comment

thanks for all the advice...
        I have decided to keep my stake holder personal, and not
        contribute from my company.

Comment

best option for higher rate tax payer

I think I will go into the higher tax band in this financial year.

It looks like it will then be more beneficial to make a personal pension contribution into my SIPP rather than through the company (ie 40% versus 20% corp tax relief).

So should I make 100% of the contribution personally?

thanks

Comment

Originally posted by achillea View Post
            I think I will go into the higher tax band in this financial year.

It looks like it will then be more beneficial to make a personal pension contribution into my SIPP rather than through the company (ie 40% versus 20% corp tax relief).

So should I make 100% of the contribution personally?

thanks
            Yes - you are slightly better off making the contribution personally. This applies even if you don't go into the higher rate tax band.

Comment

Next tax year CT will be 21% and basic rate tax will only be 20%, so then it would be better to make the contribution via the company.
              Anyone know if this is still the situation, or has Gordon and Alistair's recent tax announcements introduced any complications, moved the goalposts or muddied the waters?

Comment

Originally posted by Kess View Post
                Anyone know if this is still the situation, or has Gordon and Alistair's recent tax announcements introduced any complications, moved the goalposts or muddied the waters?
                As far as I'm aware the recent tax announcements haven't changed the situation.

Theoretically most efficent to make contributions personally this year and then via the company next tax year.

If you are setting it up now it's hardly worth the hassle of switching so probably easiest to just make company contributions.

Comment

Working...
                X