• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Flat Rate Scheme

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Flat Rate Scheme

Has anyone ever asked a supplier to charge over the odds to get the ex.VAT price to over £2000? The reason I ask is that my company is paying for some training, and the cost is £1800 + VAT, so total outgoing is £2115. If I asked the supplier to charge me £2000 + VAT, I can reclaim the VAT back, therefore my company would save £115, they'd get an extra £200, everyone's happy! Except Hector of course, but he has more than enough money from us!

It's all academic at the min as I'm still waiting for my voluntary VAT registration (since end of March! ) but I thought I'd ask the question anyway.

Originally posted by Pacman
    Has anyone ever asked a supplier to charge over the odds to get the ex.VAT price to over £2000? The reason I ask is that my company is paying for some training, and the cost is £1800 + VAT, so total outgoing is £2115. If I asked the supplier to charge me £2000 + VAT, I can reclaim the VAT back, therefore my company would save £115, they'd get an extra £200, everyone's happy! Except Hector of course, but he has more than enough money from us!

It's all academic at the min as I'm still waiting for my voluntary VAT registration (since end of March! ) but I thought I'd ask the question anyway.
    The £2000 is for capital items only - training doesn't count.
    Best Forum Advisor 2014
    Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
    Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

I'm sure your accountant will advise you that it is above £2000 including VAT that you can claim VAT back on for capital purchases within the flat rate scheme. Is training a capital expense?

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaqqer
        In the public sector, you could capitalise the training as a project expense. Happy days.

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaqqer
          Ah, well that's that then. Thanks for replies!

Comment

Still a valid question though.

If it were a genuoine capital item, i assume it would be legal??

Comment

Working...
            X