• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Can someone explain as new to all this.....

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sounds to me like you're being overpaid as a permie if you're on 30K, yet your market rate as a contractor would only be 15/hr. My advice would be to stay put.

Comment

Originally posted by XperTest
      Sounds to me like you're being overpaid as a permie if you're on 30K, yet your market rate as a contractor would only be 15/hr. My advice would be to stay put.
      £15ph what do you do polish the real contractors shoes during lunch break.

Yeah go contracting for the life style of breaks between contractos the freedom to choice where you work but you have to take into account inorder to get that life style you have to charge top dollar so that when your on your break or even on the bench for 2 months you can still survive to a reasonable standard as when your rolling in it. That's why i do any contract for less than 4 times your rate.
      Thats the way the cookie crumbles

Comment

Its getting quite annoying when I keep seeing people say how 99.9% of contractors are outside IR35, I think that's a little inaccurate.

Despite my contract seemingly outside IR35 I have done many working practices tests and can confirm that many people have advised me I am inside IR35, that my end client has too much control over what I do, where I do it and how I do it (and believe me not much option as things stand). This would be the case for a lot of people in the IT world I'm sure. So people that go through umbrellas are not necessarily badly advised or scared of a little paperwork, they are often people who have been advised by more than one person they are at serious risk of being inside IR35, are not in contracting for the long term but using it as a stop gap or on a short term contract. Or like myself all three!

I'd love to have my own company and have the responsibility of my own company but considering my expected IR35 status and the fact that I hope to go permie within the year I think umbrellas are the only option. Rather that than have a company setup for 6-9 months and then bin it when you go permie and have little rewards as you are still going PAYE.

If someone can tell me who i can speak to that is creditable that will advise me exaclty under my current working practices how I can avoid IR35 without completely changing the way I work and risking losing my position then I am all EARS!!!

Comment

Ask QDOS if they will insure you and pay out any fees/penalties if you are found to be inside IR35. Will cost more than you need to pay but will give complete peace of mind.

Comment

Originally posted by Ardesco
            Ask QDOS if they will insure you and pay out any fees/penalties if you are found to be inside IR35. Will cost more than you need to pay but will give complete peace of mind.
            And I assume the reason they are prepared to ensure the penalties/fees is because almost no-one is ever caught...

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg
              And I assume the reason they are prepared to ensure the penalties/fees is because almost no-one is ever caught...
              And our survey says.....

DING!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Ardesco
                And our survey says.....

DING!!!
                Which is why people say that 99%+ of contractors are outside of IR35 - what is meant is that they (with PCG support) will be able to successfully see off the HMRC.

Comment

Or that HMRC won't bother because they know that 99% of cases are going to be seen off.

Comment

Are you getting the message yet, Spiderman??

Even shift-working tape-changers have been found to be outside IR35. As long as you have one of no MOO, a reasonable RoS or (not AND, OR) a minimum of D&C, your IR35 status is defensible. So yes, there is no reason for a thinking contractor to be inside without very good reason.

However if you are using an umbrella, IR35 doesn't matter since you are taxed as an employee anyway, which is as it should be - you want out of FTE taxation, you need to have your own company. Simple, really.
                    Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by Spiderman
                      I'd love to have my own company and have the responsibility of my own company but considering my expected IR35 status and the fact that I hope to go permie within the year I think umbrellas are the only option. Rather that than have a company setup for 6-9 months and then bin it when you go permie and have little rewards as you are still going PAYE.

If someone can tell me who i can speak to that is creditable that will advise me exaclty under my current working practices how I can avoid IR35 without completely changing the way I work and risking losing my position then I am all EARS!!!

Don't bother , if you are going to go back to being a permanent employee within the year, the amount of work involved..bank accounts, vat etc etc, then closing it all down..

Comment

Working...
                      X