• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Satellite Navigation

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by THEPUMA
    OK then so playing devil's advocate, if you are going on a personal trip and don't know the way, are you honestly telling me you wouldn't use it? I doubt a jury would believe that.

And if they did, how can it possibly be "necessary"? People used to find their way to places before SatNav was invented. And now you have the alternative of using Multimap or some similar directions website.

I think this is one of those occasions where tax legislation and fairness do not coincide. It would be fair to claim it but you simply wouldn't win your case if you had to defend it at the Commissioners.
    by using your arguement printers and computers are not necessary in some circumstanses as people "got by before"
    Cenedl heb iaith, cenedl heb galon

Comment

Originally posted by Jason D
      You just lost your £1.50.

Company credit card i'm afraid. As per all company expenses.

Double or nothing?

By the way I am an accountant not a contractor.
      an accountant or a MSCP ?

I think we should be told....

Comment

I do find it amusing that THEPUMA regulary decides to take the alternative view on everything posted on these forums.

The majority of people will say don't claim subsistance willy nilly as HMRC will come and take a big chunk off you if you are investigated, however THEPUMA says it is fine.

But when people ask abount putting sat nav through the company (which virtually everybody will agree is quite reasonable if you do a lot of driving and need to know how to get to places), he says it is not claimable.

The more I read your posts the more convinced I become that you are just trolling the forums and providing conflicting advise and trying to justify it to cause confusion here.

Comment

Originally posted by Ardesco
          I do find it amusing that THEPUMA regulary decides to take the alternative view on everything posted on these forums.

The majority of people will say don't claim subsistance willy nilly as HMRC will come and take a big chunk off you if you are investigated, however THEPUMA says it is fine.

But when people ask abount putting sat nav through the company (which virtually everybody will agree is quite reasonable if you do a lot of driving and need to know how to get to places), he says it is not claimable.

The more I read your posts the more convinced I become that you are just trolling the forums and providing conflicting advise and trying to justify it to cause confusion here.
          perhaps he is Gordo in disguise...

Comment

Bluebird

Are you a Swansea fan or Cardiff?

Comment

Originally posted by Ardesco

The logical reason for this is that I rarely feel the need to post unless I disagree with what is being said.

I do try to justify my opinions and am convinced that on both matters above (and that of NMW, on which I disagree with the majority of posters here), you would find that in the event of an investigation, the majority of HMRC Inspectors would agree with my stance.

I am just advising what I would do in your circumstances and, in fact, I have not claimed tax relief on my SatNav.

Please bear in mind that I almost certainly have vastly more experience of dealing with such enquiries than the contractors on here (albeit I have never had to defend a SatNav case) which means that I am more aware of the kind of stance they are likely to take.

I haven't seen many accountants on here arguing that SatNav is allowable. Let's see what Nixon Williams and SJD have to say on the matter.

Comment

Are you a Swansea fan or Cardiff?

Comment

Bluebird

That was in response to your "an accountant or a MSCP ?" question.

I took it that you are a Cardiff fan by your username and thought I would ask you something that you would similary as offensive.

I thought it was funny. But then I often laugh at my own jokes.

Comment

That was in response to your "an accountant or a MSCP ?" question.

I took it that you are a Cardiff fan by your username and thought I would ask you something that you would similary as offensive.

I thought it was funny. But then I often laugh at my own jokes.
                    ahh right, humour - don't give up the day job !

Comment

Originally posted by THEPUMA
                      I haven't seen many accountants on here arguing that SatNav is allowable.
                      I've claimed it.

My accountant has also had HMRC question a client about a sat nav purchase and they allowed it.

Comment

Working...
                      X