• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Threshold before becoming an investment company

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Threshold before becoming an investment company

I’ve read that if you invest through your company to a certain level you become an ‘investment company’ and subject to large company corp tax regardless of turnover.

Can anyone clarify the exact point at which your company will become regarded as an investment company?
    "Is someone you don't like allowed to say something you don't like? If that is the case then we have free speech."- Elon Musk

Generally this would apply to a company with no trading and the source of its income being from investments such as interest and dividends.

The small rate of Corporation Tax would not apply.

Alan

Comment

Thanks for that.

So lets say that I put aside 20% of company profit to invest in assets that generate more income my company is still taxed at the small comany rate as the vast majority of income comes from trading (as a contractor)?
      "Is someone you don't like allowed to say something you don't like? If that is the case then we have free speech."- Elon Musk

Comment

Originally posted by Jog On
        Thanks for that.

So lets say that I put aside 20% of company profit to invest in assets that generate more income my company is still taxed at the small comany rate as the vast majority of income comes from trading (as a contractor)?
        As is typical in UK tax law there is no exact answer. Ask your accountant for thier opinion and then consider it. you can also ask the tax office for an opinion - but they are not strictly binding.

Comment

Working...
        X