• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Who gets what shares???

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Who gets what shares???

Hi peeps.

I have searched the forum but none the wiser.

I am about to form a limited company online but in the instructions it asks about shares and how much to issue?? Now i am new to this and if someone can elaborate on exactly what shares i should hold and how many do i give to my girlfriend??? What are the advantages/disadvantages of issuing small or large amounts???

Any help appreciated please.

Well you can transfer ownership at any time, so I'd suggest you start by having 100 shares (to give you some flexibility) and have them all yourself.

shares define who owns the company. If you wind the company up, or pay dividends out of its profits, the money goes proportionately to the shareholders.

Comment

If you issue 1000 £1 shares, then you need to pay in £1000. If you only issue 1 £1 share, you only need to invest £1.

I have 1 share, wife has 0 - might reconsider after the Arctic result though...
      Best Forum Advisor 2014
      Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
      Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

And are you sure you want to give your girlfreind shares??

If you do she is entitled to a dividend every time you pay out a dividend to yourself and you can't force her to sell her share holding. If you break up and she has equal shares it can be a real pain in the ass. If you pay yourself a dividend of £1000 you will have to pay her a dividend of £1000 as well.

IMHO do not give your girlfreind shares, if she is your wife fair enough if you divorce she can take you for half of everything anyway so there is not a huge amount of difference in risk, but giving your girlfriend something like that is a recipe for disaster IMHO

Of course I don't know what your relationship is like and it may be all good and you'lll stay together forever, but it's best not to bring finances and relationships together until you have to.

Comment

Originally posted by Ardesco
          And are you sure you want to give your girlfreind shares??

If you do she is entitled to a dividend every time you pay out a dividend to yourself and you can't force her to sell her share holding. If you break up and she has equal shares it can be a real pain in the ass. If you pay yourself a dividend of £1000 you will have to pay her a dividend of £1000 as well.

IMHO do not give your girlfreind shares, if she is your wife fair enough if you divorce she can take you for half of everything anyway so there is not a huge amount of difference in risk, but giving your girlfriend something like that is a recipe for disaster IMHO

Of course I don't know what your relationship is like and it may be all good and you'lll stay together forever, but it's best not to bring finances and relationships together until you have to.
          If you did split up, you'd need to setup a new company and invoice from one to the other to get the cash out that way, surely?

Still more hassle than it's worth - tell her to get her own job!
          Best Forum Advisor 2014

Comment

Thanks guys for the responses. I think i'm going to take The Faggers advice and not give any shares to the girlfriend. She can be temperamental at times. You just never know!!!!!

I'm going to give 1 share to myself worth £1. Is this right, i don't know?????

Thanks guys.

Comment

Originally posted by bash
              Thanks guys for the responses. I think i'm going to take The Faggers advice and not give any shares to the girlfriend. She can be temperamental at times. You just never know!!!!!

Thanks guys.
              That's what I did - some people might advocate having ten shares, or even a hundred. Makes very little difference - I have one share, and wouldn't bother with more than a hundred, as it's money you need to invest (for no real purpose).
              Best Forum Advisor 2014

Comment

Originally posted by bash
                That's what I do...but then I haven't been contracting all that long, I suppose it all depends upon how much you can invest in your company!
                It's Deja-vu all over again!

Comment

Working...
                X