• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Contract Question

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Contract Question

Has anyone had any experience of this?

A little background...

For 18 months about 2 years ago I worked for a client via an agency. I then took a couple of other contracts in the 2 years that had passed. On the off chance I went and visited the Ex-Client and got talking and they offered me 3 months worth of work. I accepted, an agency was then undertaken to effectively factor the invoices.

(The client is a large IT Services Company)
    My contract is due to finish in 2 weeks and as I was brought in to resolve a few problems it is unlikely to be renewed. I have started to look around for a new role and have come across a stumbling block. I am applying for a role that is with the same client but on a completely different contract and location of theirs. In my current contract I have a clause which reads:

"the company agrees that for the duration of this agreement and for a period of six months following the termination of this agreement it shall not enter into an agreement with the client or any company which is part of the corporate group of the client"

This now sates that I can not undertake another contract with the client in any capacity for the next 6 months, as described the agency was effectively brought in to factor the invoices and I gained the work direct. In hindsight I know it is my fault as I should have had this taken out of the contract! Has anyone come up against this and is it upheld?
    Gerrrrrrrrrraaaaaaardddddddd. Wot a Hit son, what a hit!

Since you were introduced to the client before you signed anything, then you are opted into the agency regulations. This clause can be disregarded - read up on the regulations, but once you leave the client, you can go back direct after 8 weeks (IIRC) with nothing the agent can do about it.
    Last edited by TheFaQQer; 26 June 2007, 08:39.
    Best Forum Advisor 2014
    Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
    Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

You will probably find that the agency will not enforce that clause because they recognise you were direct and they did not introduce you.

One of the problems today is that many agencies put out a bog standard contract regardless of whether or not you are direct. In some case the client has even dictated some of the terms. The agency can be reluctant to change the contract because it does not want to involved the bread winnner (i.e. the client) but will recognise that certain clauses do not apply.

It was so much easier when all you got was a purchase order!

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaqqer
        Since you were introduced to the client before you signed anything, then you are opted out of the agency regulations.
        Surely you mean "opted in" ?

Comment

Originally posted by chicane
          Surely you mean "opted in" ?
          Yeah - that's what I said

Just checking that everyone else was awake out there...
          Best Forum Advisor 2014
          Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
          Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Working...
          X