• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Silly questions time

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Silly questions time

I'm an inexperienced contractor - I'm in my second contract - so this will be a silly question.
    I read on a particular umberella company's website that I can claim hotel bills etc while I am away from home.
    I am living in a guest house (in a city which is not my normal place of residence) during the week while i'm at work and going home at weekends. I did this during my first contract and my accountants said that I could not claim these expenses and still be IR35 compliant.
    Is this true?
    Can I actually claim my hotel bills and expenses while living away while I'm at work?
    It's Deja-vu all over again!

Yes you can claim those expenses, and you could have done for your first contract as well. IR35 doesn't relate to expenses at all, so obviously you had a poor accountant. I'd get on the phone and tear him/her a new one so at the very least, his/her current clients don't get shafted as well.
    Listen to my last album on Spotify

Comment

Thanks, fortunately I have receipts but will I need them?

Comment

Originally posted by KathyWoolfe
        Thanks, fortunately I have receipts but will I need them?
        Yes, the tax man will want to see all receipts if you are ever audited.
        Listen to my last album on Spotify

Comment

Originally posted by Cowboy Bob
          Yes you can claim those expenses, and you could have done for your first contract as well. IR35 doesn't relate to expenses at all, so obviously you had a poor accountant. I'd get on the phone and tear him/her a new one so at the very least, his/her current clients don't get shafted as well.
          I'll give him the benefit of the doubt as when I got my first contract I was too concerned with setting up my company etc to really go into details about what I was entitled to.
          Thanks for your help!

Comment

Be careful.. If an accountant told me something as blatantly wrong as that, I'd wonder what else he was messing up..!

Comment

Working...
            X