• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

SJD Calculator

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You realise that the quote you've found wasn't mine?

Originally posted by floatsy
    I found an old thread - so this provides the context I was looking for:
    P.S. What Spreadsheet? Revolutionising the contracting market again.

Comment

Originally posted by simonsjdaccountancy
      You realise that the quote you've found wasn't mine?

Yes of course.

I think you were down further saying something yes, there can be variances but maybe around 70% but the above is clearer to me.

The calculator on your site provides is a marketing tool bringing in the catch.

But as I said, I am looking for clarification on how wide the variance can be, especially when decisions are made on this basis.

For example, does it assume I am working the full year, does it assume that I am earning 20K etc etc. These are all significant factors which will affect an estimate, and people will make decisions based on it.

So it's important, IMO, to provide some clarification and to inform people that there can be significant variance.

Nevertheless, as I said, understand that it is probably a highly effective SJD marketing tool, rather than anything else. I'm sure it brings in a lotta people for you.

Kudos to your skills.
      Last edited by floatsy; 18 June 2007, 19:22.

Comment

look like it "assumes" lots of things. 1 is a either a 6 day working week or 10 hour working day.

Comment

You do need to be careful with quotes, when I started I got one from Danbro and they didn't include any higher rate tax in the figures. They can be a good guide but know their limits
          "The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance." Cicero

Comment

I wonder about some of you guys!

There are lots of calculators out there that give all kinds info.
            BUT
            Surely you are smart enough to realise that the less detail the calculator requires the less accurate it is going to be?

Surely you can not expect a web based application to know details you dont enter?

Come on!

All the guys I work with do a basic calculation as a rule of thumb which is basically 40 hours a week 45 weeks a year and max take home of 85%.
            I am not qualified to give the above advice!

The original point and click interface by
            Smith and Wesson.

Step back, have a think and adjust my own own attitude from time to time

Comment

Originally posted by The Lone Gunman
              I wonder about some of you guys!
              Surely you are smart enough to realise that the less detail the calculator requires the less accurate it is going to be?

Surely you can not expect a web based application to know details you dont enter?

Come on!

All the guys I work with do a basic calculation as a rule of thumb which is basically 40 hours a week 45 weeks a year and max take home of 85%.
              Sure, that's cool - not the issue in terms of expecting an exact figure. Obviously that will be dependant upon the individual and their particular circumstances (and bravery )

All that was asked for was some context - which the above does provide.

It's easier when one has been in the game but for complete newbies, in a flash of the pan situation, even the most obvious ABCs are good things.

That is why agents like 1stcontact can get business - they flash around big numbers but don't mention the little ones. It matters.

So fair enough, but as I said, was just going for context.

Cheers

Comment

Simon will probably take this on board and change the web page to read something like "calculations are based on a 40 hour week, 52 week year with a base salary of x and expenses of n".

If it realy is that confusing.
                I am not qualified to give the above advice!

The original point and click interface by
                Smith and Wesson.

Step back, have a think and adjust my own own attitude from time to time

Comment

Working...
                X