• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Cheaky Expense

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If you are a LTD co you should be having an AGM. You have to approve your accounts and set out the business plan for the next year etc.

Make sure to take minutes and type them up so that you have proof that the AGM happened.

If I remember correctly there is an allowance of £250 for each employee and they can also invite a guest. I'm sure one of the accountants will provide more details (SJD or Nixon Williams).

Comment

I think it is £150 per employee, not £250.

As far as business entertainment is concerned, you can entertain clients (existing or prospective) as long as their are valid business reasons for doing so. Remember though, that business entertainment is not tax deductable as far as CT is concerned...

Older and ...well, just older!!

Comment

Originally posted by DaveB
        You can claim for anything as long as the expense was wholely and solely incurred as a result of your business activities and you can demonstrate this to HMRC when they ask.
        I'll extend that - you can claim for anything. Just be prepared to pay tax on it as a benefit in kind.

Originally posted by ratewhore
        I think it is £150 per employee
        It's £150 per employee, and you can bring a guest. It doesn't have to be one big bash, either - it can be a series of little ones. Thing to be careful of is if the bash costs £175 each, then you pay tax on the whole lot, not the bit over the £150.
        Best Forum Advisor 2014
        Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
        Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by Ardesco
          If you are a LTD co you should be having an AGM. You have to approve your accounts and set out the business plan for the next year etc.

Make sure to take minutes and type them up so that you have proof that the AGM happened.

If I remember correctly there is an allowance of £250 for each employee and they can also invite a guest. I'm sure one of the accountants will provide more details (SJD or Nixon Williams).
          Does the AGM allowance come out of the £150 per employee ? Or can this be treated as a seperate expense ?

Does anyone have a blank AGM meeting document that can be re-used by others with a slight change ?

Comment

You don't have an AGM allowance per se. I just make sure that I hold my company AGM somewhere that has the facilities to provide me with the workspace I require and refreshments to keep us going while we discuss which direction to move the business in over the next year

Comment

What does 'benefit in-kind' mean?

Thanks.

Comment

A benefit in kind is basically a taxable perk - ie. something you receive from the company other than money on which the vaue should be taxed. Examples are a company car which you're allowed to use privately.

Re AGM's, limited can dispense with these by passing elective resolutions and filing them at Companies House:-

"5. Elective resolutions

These may be passed by private companies only and for five specific purposes - see below. 'Elective resolutions' must be passed by unanimous agreement in general meeting of the company by all the members entitled to attend and vote at the meeting in person or by proxy. A period of 21 days' notice of the resolution(s) must be given unless all members entitled to attend and vote at the meeting agree to a shorter period.

Elective resolutions may be used for the following purposes only:
                to amend the duration of the authority of directors to allot securities;
                to dispense with the holding of annual general meetings;
                to dispense with the laying of accounts and reports before the members in general meeting;
                to allow the majority required to authorise short notice of a meeting and notice of a resolution to be reduced from 95% to a lower figure but not less than 90%;
                to dispense with the annual appointment of auditors. "

Comment

A few years ago I bought a futon to use in my 'office' (OK spare bedroom) and put it through the company books.

The accountant queried it but let it go through when I told him it was my 'thought couch'

Comment

Working...
                  X