• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Company Car

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Company Car

Hello all,
    I've been contracting for about a month now and wanted to know if it would be beneficial if I bought a car through the company.

Would I personally get taxed more as it is seen as a benefit?

Originally posted by sumez
    Would I personally get taxed more as it is seen as a benefit?

Yes

Comment

Yes you would but sometimes the additional personal tax incurred is outweighed by the corporation tax saving. It depends on the car.

Most big cars (BMW's, Mercs, Volvos etc) are better off owned personally but some small cars and most that qualify as vans (some double cab pick-ups eg Nissan Navarro, Mitsubishi Warrior etc) are better off run through the company.

Comment

Originally posted by THEPUMA
        Yes you would but sometimes the additional personal tax incurred is outweighed by the corporation tax saving. It depends on the car.

Most big cars (BMW's, Mercs, Volvos etc) are better off owned personally but some small cars and most that qualify as vans (some double cab pick-ups eg Nissan Navarro, Mitsubishi Warrior etc) are better off run through the company.
        The rules for vans have changed - if you have any private use there's a big BIK charge nowadays.
        ...my quagmire of greed....my cesspit of laziness and unfairness....all I am doing is sticking two fingers up at nurses, doctors and other hard working employed professionals...

Comment

Originally posted by Lockhouse
          The rules for vans have changed - if you have any private use there's a big BIK charge nowadays.
          Still usually worthwhile. The BIK is not as big as that of an equivalent car, usually.

Comment

I was about to get a new car with the intention of buying it personally. THe garage said that i should look into getting it through the company as i can can do something with the VAT.

It was a Mitsubishi Animal OTR 26k inc VAT. So what sort of saving would i get going through company and could it ever be used for private use ?
            Thats the way the cookie crumbles

Comment

Originally posted by Cooperinliverp00l
              I was about to get a new car with the intention of buying it personally. THe garage said that i should look into getting it through the company as i can can do something with the VAT.

It was a Mitsubishi Animal OTR 26k inc VAT. So what sort of saving would i get going through company and could it ever be used for private use ?
              Ask them whether or not it qualfies as a van. If so, you will be able to recover the VAT and the benefit-in-kind will either be nil (only incidental private usage), £3,000 pa (non-incidental private use, no private fuel provided) or £3,500 (non-incidental private use, private fuel provided).

My gut instinct is that you are better off buying this through the company if it qualifies as a van but you would need to get your accountant to crunch the numbers based on your specific circumstances.

Comment

Originally posted by THEPUMA
                Ask them whether or not it qualfies as a van. If so, you will be able to recover the VAT.
                Am I correct in assuming that the VAT can't be recovered if you're on FRS, or are there different rules for 'large' purchases?

Comment

You can reclaim for any purchases over £2k I think...
                  Property advisor for the people

Comment

Originally posted by Red 7
                    Am I correct in assuming that the VAT can't be recovered if you're on FRS, or are there different rules for 'large' purchases?
                    If a cpaital asset with cost exceeding £2,000 is purchased, VAT can still be recovered under the FRS.

Comment

Working...
                    X