• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

stamp duty

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

stamp duty

If my company were to buy a property it would be exempt from stamp duty.

Can the company premises be also my place of residence?

What’s happens to the property when I wind the company down?
    "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Originally posted by scooterscot
    If my company were to buy a property it would be exempt from stamp duty.

Can the company premises be also my place of residence?

What’s happens to the property when I wind the company down?
    1) absolutely not.

2) As far as the company is concerned, yes. Though there may be planning restrictions on this. It will create a BIK which you ought to pay the tax on.

3) If you don't sell it beforehand, it will pass to the crown, you do not want to do this.

tim

Comment

Just paid 10K of SDLT and if I were to move again in the next 12 months even I'd have to pay it again. It's little wonder there is a shortage of property on the market. Your penalised from the off the moment you decide you want to buy a place, how is that fair?
      "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Just paid 10K of SDLT and if I were to move again in the next 12 months even I'd have to pay it again. It's little wonder there is a shortage of property on the market. Your penalised from the off the moment you decide you want to buy a place, how is that fair?

and who told you we live in a fair world ??

Comment

No, you're not. You are simply taxed on the purchase of a property (there is AFAIK no penalty for deciding you want to buy a place). OK, you don't like paying taxes, what else is new?
          God made men. Sam Colt made them equal.

Comment

Then what would happen if the property was sold to me in bananas and not £'s, stamp duty would not be paid. Then the bananas could be sold at tesco's... right?

Comment

Then what would happen if the property was sold to me in bananas and not £'s, stamp duty would not be paid. Then the bananas could be sold at tesco's... right?
              Bananas is right!!
              God made men. Sam Colt made them equal.

Comment

Working...
              X