• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

dormant company - legal requirements?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

dormant company - legal requirements?

Hello,

I registered limited company in June 2006. Soon after that I sent letter to HMRC saying that my company is not yet active. That was all I did.

I plan to start trading now, one year after the incorporation. What should I do? From what I have read, there are at least two things: annual return and the accounts.

annual returns
    I have to complete annual return no matter the company was trading or not, is this correct? May I wait for the Form 363 to be sent to my registered office address? Are we - limited company first timers - able to fill in the Form 363 ourselves, without need of accountant advice?

accounts
    Do I also have to complete accounts when my company was not trading since incorporation? If so, how can I actually do this, when there were no transactions?

As far as I know, my accounts are due from 30/06/07 and then I should have 10 months to file them, so they need to be received at Companies House by no later than 23/04/08. Therefore I think that I can wait with completing accounts till this date. Did I make mistake?

What will be the date on which the company first accounting period began? The date of incorporation or the date when I started trading?

other
    Is there something else I have to do?

My situation:
    I don't plan to employ anybody, we are just two directors who would like to share company profit through dividends.

Thanks a lot in advance. I hope your answers will be helpful not only to me

Regards,
    Martin

Originally posted by Martin
    Hello,

I registered limited company in June 2006. Soon after that I sent letter to HMRC saying that my company is not yet active. That was all I did.

I plan to start trading now, one year after the incorporation. What should I do? From what I have read, there are at least two things: annual return and the accounts.

annual returns
    I have to complete annual return no matter the company was trading or not, is this correct? May I wait for the Form 363 to be sent to my registered office address? Are we - limited company first timers - able to fill in the Form 363 ourselves, without need of accountant advice?

accounts
    Do I also have to complete accounts when my company was not trading since incorporation? If so, how can I actually do this, when there were no transactions?

As far as I know, my accounts are due from 30/06/07 and then I should have 10 months to file them, so they need to be received at Companies House by no later than 23/04/08. Therefore I think that I can wait with completing accounts till this date. Did I make mistake?

What will be the date on which the company first accounting period began? The date of incorporation or the date when I started trading?

other
    Is there something else I have to do?

My situation:
    I don't plan to employ anybody, we are just two directors who would like to share company profit through dividends.

Thanks a lot in advance. I hope your answers will be helpful not only to me

Regards,
    Martin

You must ensure your accountant submits a nil CT600 to cover the dormant period or HMRC will whack a £100 non-submission penalty on you.

Comment

Working...
    X