• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Mortgages

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ruprect
    One more than one occasion I've heard people say you shouldn't pay off your whole mortgage, you should keep a smallish amount borrowed.... but I've not heard a good reason why.... anyone got any idea?
    Free secure storage of the title deeds
    How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

Originally posted by Ruprect
      One more than one occasion I've heard people say you shouldn't pay off your whole mortgage, you should keep a smallish amount borrowed.... but I've not heard a good reason why.... anyone got any idea?
      All the reasons stated but also if you want to borrow additional funds then having a small mortgage means that you'd be looking at a further advance. If you'd long since paid off your mortgage in full then you'd be looking at raising a new mortgage and further advances are cheaper to arrange.

Comment

The IFA I went to was really good, only charged 5% of the mortgage amount (he told me this was low compared to some sharks out there). He also set me up with all the insurances I needed (life, house, contents,pp, holiday, car, flood, earthquake), quite a lot each month but as he said it's peace of mind. Anyway ended up with a nice 125% (plus his fee so really 130%) at 8%, im locked in for 6 years but I don't planning on moving anytime soon.

Comment

Originally posted by newperson
          The IFA I went to was really good, only charged 5% of the mortgage amount (he told me this was low compared to some sharks out there). He also set me up with all the insurances I needed (life, house, contents,pp, holiday, car, flood, earthquake), quite a lot each month but as he said it's peace of mind. Anyway ended up with a nice 125% (plus his fee so really 130%) at 8%, im locked in for 6 years but I don't planning on moving anytime soon.
          Is this real or a wind up? Locked in at 8% for 6 yrs!!!! 5% of the mortgage seems quite a substantial fee to charge, i hope the procuration fee from the lender was rebated to you. Does this mean a £5K fee for a £100K mortgage?

Comment

Originally posted by glashIFA@Paramount
            Is this real or a wind up? Locked in at 8% for 6 yrs!!!! 5% of the mortgage seems quite a substantial fee to charge, i hope the procuration fee from the lender was rebated to you. Does this mean a £5K fee for a £100K mortgage?
            It's real, bet you wish you used him? It was for a 300k house so my fee was 15k. Funny thing was the house only surveyed at 120k but the estate agents promised it would probably go over 300k in the next year so I had to go for it.

Comment

Originally posted by newperson

Wow! Who was this IFA?

Comment

Originally posted by DogMachine10
                Wow! Who was this IFA?
                He moved shortly after I used him, I can't seem to find his number anywhere. Bet you wish you used him eh?

Comment

don't worry I'm sure you will attract someone just as talented, for your next financial need. Heard a guy goes by the initial GB is great for pensions.

Comment

I wish I used/knew a lot of stuff!

I was a permy *spits* when I got my current mortgage...but I'm convinced I can do better (in terms of mortgage deals) as a contractor.

Comment

Originally posted by mictech
                      don't worry I'm sure you will attract someone just as talented, for your next financial need. Heard a guy goes by the initial GB is great for pensions.
                      lol
                      Last edited by Diestl; 17 April 2007, 14:53.

Comment

Working...
                      X