• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

How much income to draw this year ?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How much income to draw this year ?

I previously thought that I should be taking £39825 out of the Ltd company this year - Tax free allowance of £5,225 plus up to the basic rate of 22% is £ 34,600

However my accountant is advising that I take £34,500. A salary of £10,500 plus £24k in dividends.

When I asked him why this should be the case rather he replied;

"There is however a small difference between what I
    have advised to take as dividends and the actual higher rate limit, which I
    have set aside as a 'buffer' in case you receive any other income during
    this tax year"

Why would this be the case ?

because you will also have to declare stuff like interest from bank / building society accounts, share dividends you may recieve from companies other than your own...
    Cenedl heb iaith, cenedl heb galon

Comment

You'd think your accountant should ask you about likely income from savings/other shares before advising you.

Remember the 10% tax credit on dividends. So £24K counts as £26,400 towards the limit. The most you can take as divs (assuming £10,500 salary) is £26,659. I think.
      Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

I reckon your accountant is having a very bad day. What it looks like he has done is attempt to recommend £100 less than the higher rate threshold banding.

This is wrong because:

1. it ignores the £5,225 personal allowance;
        2. it ignores the fact that dividends incur a 10% credit so £24k dividends is actually treated as £26,666.66 income (£24k / 0.9)

Also remember that any personal pension contributions you make effectively increase the higher rate threshold so allow you to make a bigger dividend distribution without suffering 40% tax.

Personally, I'd sack my accountant if he gave me this sort of advice and responded with such lame excuse.

Comment

Working...
        X